Safe Sanitizing Solutions

garnet69(6A S.Ont)August 15, 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a spray solution that is safe enough to use in my cat enclosure. I have seen the one that Live Monarch sells and I'm not willing to spend that much. I rinse away the frass and work it into the soil but I would like to use something to spray down the frame of my enclosure periodically. I thought about using a vinegar/water solution but am not sure if it is safe to use on the cats.

I have an enclosure outdoors that contains cats that are 3rd instar or higher set into my garden. I also have indoor enclosures but these I am able to change and clean everyday.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Garnet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananasinohio(6OH)

Define safe. Do you want something to use while you have plants or caterpillars in there? Typically a bleach solution is going to be one of the few things that will work and is inexpensive enough. Obviously you can't use that while you have caterpillars or plants in there. If you remove both and use the bleach solution (let it stand for ten minute) then rinse well it should be fine. Bleach also loses its potency over time in sunlight.

Just as a note, wood is not the best material to use for cages for this very reason. It is very difficult to clean when concerned with disease.

-Elisabeth

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 12:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garnet69(6A S.Ont)

Safe as in safe to use on plants and caterpillars, the same as they sell on Live Monarch.

In any event, I removed the enclosure from the garden, moved the cats to a large container temporarily while I scrubbed the frame with a bleach/water solution, rinsed it down and let it dry in the sun. I have also lined the bottom with sand and then newspaper so that I can change this daily.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Found a tagged Monarch today
It was on some Milkweed flowers. I could see a white...
jane__ny
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
They're back
Here in Central Florida we are at mid spring. I have...
tom123_gw
looking for mistletoe
Would love to attract a purple hairstreak .... any...
Meredith Mays
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™