Carnivorous plants for NW Washington State (outdoors)

kathy_whatcomco_waJanuary 16, 2013

Hi, everyone. I am completely new to carnivorous plants, but I know that there are some native to where I live (about 2 hours north of Seattle, 30 min. south of the Canadian border, a few miles from the coast.) I discovered an old iron bathtub while clearing blackberries on our land and thought it would make a great bog garden. Are there CP species that would work in this scenario? I would like to move it over near a path (sun or bright shade most of the day) and plant it with boggy things. Ideally, I would leave the plants in situ during the winter. I know I need to water with rainwater only (no problem around here!) Any other tips? If this is a stupid thing to try, please let me know before I put all that effort into it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cody_mi(z5 MI)

actually it sounds great to me. just make sure you line the tub with plastic. in your zone, you can put any of the sarracenia in it, any venus fly traps, there are several sundews and you could possibly do some darlingtonia. you could also mix it up a bit with habenaria or malaxia bog orchids. do it!

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
Help with N. alata
Hi, We have recently added the wonderful pitcher plant...
Nagem
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™