What's eating my Datura?

valentinetbear(z6 PA)July 27, 2012

I know this is about Angel's Trumpets, but where else do I ask about Devil's Trumpets? I know Devil's Trumpet is poisonous, but whatever is eating it doesn't know it. Nor does it/do they seem to be dying from the effort.

Two weeks ago, they stripped the leaves off the plants. Last week, we had our first bloom, albeit the bottom was cut off a bit, because that was chewed on, before it bloomed. We had two more blooms since and three new buds. (The photo shows the third bloom.) Last night, something pulled the buds off and left them on the bottom of the pot.

Any clues what's going on or how to deal with this? They're poisonous! This shouldn't be happening without little dead bodies somewhere near by. lol

I know. I keep thinking, "It's poisonous! This can't happen!" BUT, it has.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kasha77

Do you see white cabbage moths (small butterflies) floating around your gardens? They're the ones doing the dirty work! They lay their eggs on the underside of the leaves of both Brugs and Daturas (they're cousins) and the little green worms eat happily away, mostly at night. You can see them if you look closely. Spray with BT (bacillus thuringensis)or hand pick. By the way- your photos didn't show up! Could be the buds were ready to fall off. They land all over the place.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Finally able to retrieve my brugmansia....now what?!?
Hello everyone. I am hoping one of you experts will...
rnb68
Anyone have Painted Lady cuttings?
As common as painted lady used to be i am having trouble...
xeriscape8321
WANTED: Well rooted brug plants-can't root a cutting!
I love these plants and have tried multiple times to...
skipper08
Dr. Seuss got a little cold
Ok, so advice - Vinyl greenhouses from Big Lots cannot...
cygnwulf
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™