Drosera & Ping recommendations?

paul_(z5 MI)January 23, 2008

Looking for small growing dros and pings that don't require a winter dormancy for my bog terr. [From what I've seen, most pings would not be a problem in the size department, but a required dormancy would be an issue.] Currently have a D. capensis, D. adelae, and what I believe may be a P morensis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
icenine

They arent impressive unless you have a ton in one pot, but D. Spathulata are pretty sweet, and most pygmy sundews will work, too.

Bookmark   January 23, 2008 at 6:41PM
twotut(N.Ca.foothills zn 9)

I have the Pings Cyclosecta, Agnata Red Leaf and Esseriana, they have been very easy to grow with no dormancy and have been flowering like crazy. I bought mine at HoustonHerb.com and Cascade Carnivores and the plants were beautiful and the prices were very reasonable. I have limited space so they worked out just right. Good Luck...!

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 9:00PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

D. adelae and P. primuliflora go well together. I have many Mexican pings and although they tend to like the change in seasons, they don't need to be kept like Sarracenias ad VFT's. D. capensis, spatulata, dielsiana, aliciae, burmannii come to mind, also. Pygmy sundews are like Mexican butterworts in that they also like a change in seasons. Bladderworts are also good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket album

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 2:10PM
hunterkiller03(9)

Just to let you know, pygmy sundews don't grow very well on a bog terrarium, too much humidity will kill them. Of all my sundews, pygmies are the least I water.

They seem to like a slightly drier environment with it media with good drainage. Surprisingly I had some pygmies growing along side with my Mexican butterworts without any problem.

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 3:16PM
nycti

Hi Paul,

Sounds like it will be a pretty setup when you are finished. As far as I know Mexican Pings don't need a dormancy.

Someone please correct me if there are some that do.

Nycti

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Advice on Venus Fly Trap care
Hello everyone, I just recently I bought a venus fly...
fuzzywolf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™