My final two Monarchs emerged and are off.

docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)August 19, 2013

I had noticed some blotchy color change in the chrysalides, and they were lagging behind all the others. So, I assumed they were duds and hung them outside so they could be someone else's lunch. Well, three days later I found beautifull butterflies hanging from those chrysalides drying their wings. Yeah!

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Phildeez(9b)

Congrats! Just curious, what generally eats them that you want around your house?

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 11:25PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Birds, raccoons. I didn't really think about who might eat them. I just know that when things die in nature, the natural "garbage collectors" do their job. Most likely smaller invertebrates and microbes. Critters I generally don't notice, but know they play a crucial role in the balance of nature.

Martha

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:02AM
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

Congratulations! What a nice surprise. Do you know if these monarchs will lay eggs, and the next generation will migrate, or will these migrate? It seems late for another generation, but a little early for these to migrate. But I know so little about all this.

I let my first one go early yesterday evening (it eclosed while I was at work), and have two more that eclosed this morning. Another one should eclose any time now. So far, all females, I think.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:25AM
NaturesFolly(West MI 5)

Congrats on a job well done :) YAY!!

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:36PM
cghpnd

wow, that is so cool! for me its bitter sweet to wacth them leave.
I have one chrysalis (the one that was bit by another cat) that has not emerged yet. I was thinking of doing the same thing but i feel so bad for even thinking of that. LOL
Maybe Ill just go ahead and do it and stop being a wuss hehe

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:49PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Congrats to you Martha! Yay indeed! Every little bit counts.
Angie :o)

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 5:40PM
Leafhead

Absolutely.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 8:02PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Ruth,
I don't know for sure whether these Monarchs could lay eggs yet this season or not. I do know that I've raised Monarchs that didn't eclose until late September or even early October. Who knows whether those had time to make it all the way to Mexico? Nature often seems wasteful, but I think almost all creatures try to stretch the ends of each season in order to take advantage of the variability that occurs from year to year. Just as the first Robin arrives when the ground is still frozen, the last Monarch leaves for Mexico far later than seems safe. But, they may have gotten an entire extra generation in? Who knows?

Martha

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™