GROSS! Cats eating chrysalis

fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)August 16, 2011

Ugh. Came across two small-ish orange-barred sulphurs eating what had been a healthy chrysalis. Disgusting. The plant they were on had mostly dead leaves, I guess the heat and a string of dry days got to it, so they went cannibal. Looks really gross. I put them on some fresh leaves. Never seen this before.

Although now that I think of it one time I could've sworn an orange-barred sulphur cat was nibbling on a vacant chrysalis, but he froze up when he knew I was there and I never really verified it. But these guys were just chowing on it. EEEEWWWWWW.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

Wow, it sounds like those poor cats must have been desperate and starving, or do you think that is part of their regular food? They were lucky to have some human assistance to get fresh leaves!

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 8:55PM
bananasinohio(6OH)

Well, I have always said that caterpillars are basically walking plants. They incorporate a lot of the chemicals of the plant in themselves. This probably helps fool predators. Unfortunately it also means that they smell like a leaf to each other. But you are right...EEEWWWW!
-Elisabeth

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 9:42PM
fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)

They gotta do what they gotta do... But it still turns my stomach. It was very disgusting to find.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 10:16AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You better close your eyes, then, if you happen to spot a grown caterpillar in the vicinity of eggs and/or hatchlings! Not uncommon, especially if the food supply is low.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 11:28AM
fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)

No the eggs and hatchlings are not nearly so gross as them digging into a fresh, gooey, chrysalis. (Although I dont particularly like that either!)

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™