Bog?

kamiljablo(6)January 25, 2009

I want to build 2 mini bogs out of pots. What plants can I leave outside in the winter that I can put in the bogs?

Kamil

PS: I live in zone 6

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcantrell

That's a tough question. It really depends on how big your minibog is going to be, if you're going to embed it into the ground a bit, etc.

Off the top of my head:

Cobra Lily -- I have heard this can survive down to -20C, well below freezing and way beyond what you'll see in Zone 6.
Just about any American Pitcher Plant except S. oreophila but S. purpurea in particular (S. purpurea grows in Canada)
D. filiformis (any variety except "Florida all red", which does not go dormant)
D. intermedia \
D. anglica ---- These 3 grow in Canada, Europe, etc. Idaho, where I live, is mostly zones 4 to 6, and all 3 of these grow outdoors here.
D. rotundifolia /
Dionaea muscipula (Venus Flytrap)

I currently have a 12" pot of 3 S. leucophylla (2 typical and 1 'Judith Hindle' hybrid) that appear to be surviving just fine, as well as a 6" pot of S. purpurea, and a 4" pot of S. purpurea ssp venosa (I believe). They appear to be doing just fine, and aren't loosing too much color. I won't know for sure until next spring. I am in Twin Falls, ID, zone 5 or 6 depending on who you ask.

I did have 2 pots of VFT but I did not winterize them at all and they did kick the bucket -- one was hurting before I put it out, another just froze solid due to the extremely tiny pot size. I have every intention of trying again later this year with a bigger, more winter-ready, pot.

I have purchased a few styrofoam insulated pots from Flytrapranch to see if that helps.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
Nepenthes for beginners
Hi, I used to be a member of Garden Web years ago when...
HollowOakFarm
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™