Is moss a bad thing?

Dzitmoidonc(6)February 9, 2013

Hi. I have 4 Sarracenias (Pitcher Plants) growing in pots in a cool greenhouse. One is a species plant, the other 3 are hybrids. In the summer they are out, but after frost I bring them in. All are growing a good bit of moss in the pots, and I wonder if I should be trying to eliminate the moss. Three of the 4 bloom well, the hybrid 'Bates...' something is the only one that won't bloom. The amount of moss around that one is no more nor less than around the other ones.

On the other hand, I wonder if the 2 plants (moss, Pitcher Plant) don't complement each other, and maybe I should ignore or encourage the moss. I seem to recall a "How do I get rid of Moss" thread on here, and can't recall the discussion.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Drop.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 8:53AM
Leafhead

Your Serracenias should be able to stay out all winter in Z 6. Perhaps this is why your "Bates" is hesitant to bloom.
The moss doesn't hurt the CP, so I would leave it for aesthetic value.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 1:44PM
kitfoxdrvr(7b)

Moss is no problem in my experience. In fact, it provides a fantastic seed bed for VFT. I have to thin the seedlings out-neat problem to have!

I grow several species of Serracenia as well as hybrids, and they all have native mosses growing at their base, and bloom and grow like crazy.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
Who has Sarracenia oreophylla?
I have a great clone of S. oreophylla and want to produce...
fredsbog
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™