Tithonia - Mexican Sunflower

chezronJune 22, 2013

How does Tithonia rotundifolia grow in San Diego? How big does it get? Is it annual where it doesn't freeze? Does it reseed? I do know that gophers like it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

It was an annual for me. It got tall- over four feet as I recall. It did not reseed, but that's because I deadhead. I imagine you could collect seed, though. I love the color.
Renee

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 2:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

I grew it in Mission Viejo. It would get 6-8' tall over a trellis; I would prune it back hard late in the year. It did freeze during the odd cold snaps, but came back and recovered quickly. At least in the more temperate regions of SoCal. It does reseed. I asked my hubby to not harm them because I wanted to transplant one or two when we moved; he forgot and gave them all a drench of Round-up. sigh I only had the plant 1 1/2-2 years and found 5-6 seedlings. A more mature plant may produce more seedlings. Mine was located in an area where there was little opportunity for seed to get going; in a different location, the seedlings may be more numerous.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Where to find a 'zone' map
I used to have a map to tell me what zone im in, but...
jkcali
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™