Succulent ID please

vjwarner(8b)May 10, 2014

Hello! Just got these cuties at Seattle's Volunteer Park Conservatory plant sale and have a few ?. Firstly what are they so I know how to care? Secondly, I've read many differing options/facts regarding growing succs in an open terrarium. Some say in the long run it doesn't pay off while others well, differ. Any books or websites someone can recommend for a reliable source? Finally, will they grow well together, or do they require the same sort of care?

Thanks to all who respond!! :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twiltye(9 CA)

Oh man I just saw the little one at the nurseries a couple days ago--echeveria amethorum I think? Or it was graptoveria. That's all I can add lol

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 11:27PM
vjwarner(8b)

Ha! I'll look it up and see. They are wicked cute and my hubby had to have them. He really wants me to put them into an open terrarium. We'll see.

Gracias!

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 11:52PM
twiltye(9 CA)

I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on terrariums too--I think they're super cute and I love the aesthetic.

From what I can tell, it can work mostly okay as long as you are extra extra careful to never water too much. I have to wonder whether glass with a drainage hole would work? That seems difficult to make, though. Plant choice too, I guess. I don't have enough experience in that regard yet! It would take some experimentation.

I was very very tempted to buy one myself! They have an adorable shape to them.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 12:59AM
cactusmcharris

Succulent terrariums = not good. Their need for air circulation, never mind being cooked by the glass, obviates that type of setting from being successful..

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:31PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

One of those plants, the green one, is the most excellent Crassula ovata 'Hobbit.' Enjoy!

Josh

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:52PM
vjwarner(8b)

My plan for the plants is to put them into a bowl while keeping them in the air. I'm not putting them into the bowl. And I've read that adding a layer of drainage rock helps. But, I worry the water will sit in the rocks and give too much humidity. Now I'm rambling. I'll try my idea and see how it goes!

Mil gracias for all your responses!!

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 5:25PM
KittieKAT

The other one that looks like it's got red mouth is a baby jade i Beleive or acrassula hobbit

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 5:30PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Yes, xGraptoveria 'Amethorum', Crassula ovata 'Hobbit' & other could be xPachyveria.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 5:58PM
vjwarner(8b)

My plan for the plants is to put them into a bowl while keeping them in the air. I'm not putting them into the bowl. And I've read that adding a layer of drainage rock helps. But, I worry the water will sit in the rocks and give too much humidity. Now I'm rambling. I'll try my idea and see how it goes!

Mil gracias for all your responses!!

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Lithops wound
what is this? What should I do?
Celeste Jackson
Echeveria - how long from bloom to death?
My Echeveria pulidonis are flowering. Very lovely...
kwie2011
Unable to find decomposed granite - sub granigrit?
Hi folks! Trying to get the Cheiridopsis mix going...
Bama_Joe
Cheiridopsis soil mix - Zeolite quartz sand and granigrit?
Should I use only one or the other both? Planned on...
Bama_Joe
do all cacti need a cold season to bloom?
the dormant period at the end of the year... do any...
kyrri
Sponsored Products
28 Series Eleven Pendant Chandelier by Bocci
$6,710.00 | Lumens
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 12 in. Angle Shade with Galvanized Arm
Home Depot
PLC Lighting Outdoor Lighting. 1 Light Outdoor Post Light Silver Finish Opal Gla
Home Depot
Sonnet Multi Light Pendant by Eurofase
$390.00 | Lumens
Live Pink Splash Variegated Weigelia Plant - Set of Two
$14.99 | zulily
Elk Lighting Red Clay Candle Holders - 93-19269
$138.00 | Hayneedle
Henri Studio Pebble Spill Garden Fountain
Lamps Plus
Bruck | Poise Down Pendant Light
$234.75 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for: