GF egg?

river_crossroads z8b Central LouisianaSeptember 21, 2013

Hi all,

I was excited to see a definite raised dot on a lemon basil plant but it started to rain before I could get a good picture. Not too far away is a Passiflora caerulea / blue passionvine. Can you tell if it's an egg with all the water on it? The rainwater looks white in the picture and dirt has been splashed up onto the leaf by the rain.

If it is an egg, will it be ok with all the water on it? Rain is heavy now and I've upended a large pot that has good holes and put it over the basil plant. Is that ok?

I've found a good GF egg pic to compare but can't tell. Thanks in advance for your help with the egg question and thanks for your help earlier this summer with the passionvine - it has looked happy! See egg pic at bottom left.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of GF egg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawaiiponder34

did you mean gulf fritillary? i have a passion vine in my yard, and has a lot of gulf frits in it few weeks ago, i noticed the egg is light yellowish little roundish shape...that picture doesn't look like the ones i have..and did you say it was on a basil plant?

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 2:19AM
Leafhead

I've never heard of a GF laying on Basil, not even if it's near its host, Passionvine. Now as a nectar source, Basil is a fairly good choice, as are other members of the Mint Family (Lamiaceae).

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 2:40AM
river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana

Thanks to you both. Yes, hawaiiponder, sorry, gulf fritillary. Glad you reminded me, Leafhead. I have plenty of basil seeds so I was going to take out the ratty looking basil. But after reading your comment I am going to leave the healthiest looking plants as they may bloom before frost, still plenty of hot days left in my climate.

The egg or mystery dot is gone this morning after a whole night of heavy rain and my best efforts to protect it, whatever it was, with a large flower pot inverted over the basil. Oh well, I have done my best. Thanks again.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 9:48AM
hawaiiponder34

Here is the gulf frit egg on my Passioflora foetida.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 4:12PM
hawaiiponder34

Here is the vine looks like, it usually grow in the open land and sometimes considered as nuisance weed, vine, where nobody cares about.but the fruiys are actually sweet and taste like mini "lilikoi" or passionfruit.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 4:22PM

Thanks, hawaiiponder, that is very helpful to see the egg on the vine. What kind of bird is that in the picture? We probably don't have it here, but I'm just curious. Does it eat the fruit of your passiflora?

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 11:40AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

When gulf frit eggs are first laid, they look like little bitty ears of yellow corn. By the second day, the eggs turns darker, sort of reddish brown, then brown before it hatches.

Sherry

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 12:46PM
hawaiiponder34

Here is closer pic of GF egg:-)

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 4:17PM
hawaiiponder34

Here is closer pic of GF egg:-)

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 4:18PM

Thanks, Miss Sherry. Thanks again, hawaiiponder. I'm all set now & know what to look for!

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™