Carnivorous plant "terrarium"

mayfly1963February 4, 2013

I have a 125 gallon fish tank that is no longer suitable to use as an aquarium (since it won't hold water!). I would like to convert it to a terrarium, and have wondered about the possibility of planting it with carnivorous plants. I have read that terrariums aren't a suitable habitat for these types of plants, but I wondered if having such a large container might work out Ok.

The tank is approximately 6' x 18" x 20" if I remember right. What I would like to do is create a mini ecosystem if that makes sense, with plants that one might find in the native habitat of the Venus Flytrap.

What do you all think of the idea? Am I just setting myself up for a failure here? If it sounds like it could work, what plants would you recommend that would work well in a space that size and not outgrow the container?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cody_mi(z5 MI)

it would be perfectly fine, but remember vft's need a dormancy period and will become a hassle with such a large tank. it would be better to go with tropical cp's and mini orchids, etc.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 10:01AM
mayfly1963

Thanks for the reply! When you refer to a dormancy period, I'm guessing the plants would need shorter "days" but also cooler temperatures? That might actually work out Ok, since the tank could be put in an unheated/uncooled room. It would basically be close to outside temperature all year round.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:37PM
cody_mi(z5 MI)

that would probably work then

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 1:44AM
MonkeyNM(6b)

Also, depending on what you plan to grow you may need to provide a lot of light and also lift them up nearer to the lights so that they get enough exposure.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:53AM
mayfly1963

Thanks for the tip about the lights. That's one thing I will for sure need to invest in if I choose to set this up!

Any advice on plants that grow in the same type of habitat that might work in this space?

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
Conditions for Cephalotus seeds?
What conditions are necessary for germination of the...
townhouserOnt
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
Mold... *Sigh*
Well, I screwed up. I didn't cover up the plants dormant...
David146
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™