Carnivorous plant "terrarium"

mayfly1963February 4, 2013

I have a 125 gallon fish tank that is no longer suitable to use as an aquarium (since it won't hold water!). I would like to convert it to a terrarium, and have wondered about the possibility of planting it with carnivorous plants. I have read that terrariums aren't a suitable habitat for these types of plants, but I wondered if having such a large container might work out Ok.

The tank is approximately 6' x 18" x 20" if I remember right. What I would like to do is create a mini ecosystem if that makes sense, with plants that one might find in the native habitat of the Venus Flytrap.

What do you all think of the idea? Am I just setting myself up for a failure here? If it sounds like it could work, what plants would you recommend that would work well in a space that size and not outgrow the container?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cody_mi(z5 MI)

it would be perfectly fine, but remember vft's need a dormancy period and will become a hassle with such a large tank. it would be better to go with tropical cp's and mini orchids, etc.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 10:01AM
mayfly1963

Thanks for the reply! When you refer to a dormancy period, I'm guessing the plants would need shorter "days" but also cooler temperatures? That might actually work out Ok, since the tank could be put in an unheated/uncooled room. It would basically be close to outside temperature all year round.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:37PM
cody_mi(z5 MI)

that would probably work then

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 1:44AM
MonkeyNM(6b)

Also, depending on what you plan to grow you may need to provide a lot of light and also lift them up nearer to the lights so that they get enough exposure.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:53AM
mayfly1963

Thanks for the tip about the lights. That's one thing I will for sure need to invest in if I choose to set this up!

Any advice on plants that grow in the same type of habitat that might work in this space?

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
sarracenia with dry tips
Hi there! I have some trouble with my pitcher plant....
dwaldau
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
Sponsored Products
19" Copper Planter on Wrought Iron Stand - Antique Copper / Black Powder Coat
Signature Hardware
Pressed Glass Lens Designer Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Moooi | Heracleum II Pendant Light
YLighting
Crokkis Wall Vase
Lightology
Vondom | Moma Low Planter
YLiving.com