Not sure what plants for edging

canicciJune 8, 2012

We have a few garden beds in our backyard that we are redoing. They get part sun-shade and we're in the Glendale area (not far from Descanso Gardens) . Here are 2 pictures. The tree in the first picture is a sycamore and the tree in the 2nd photo is a flowering plum (thundercloud). The 3rd garden bed will be started from scratch with camellia and small Japanese Maple. All 3 garden beds have star of jasmine growing on trellis against the wall behind the bed.

We like the mexican heather that is in the bottom left of the 2 photos and as it does well in our yard, we thought we could use that for the edge around the garden beds, but wanted to interplant it with something. We're not sure what to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We don't have to keep the mexican heather, it's just proven to be indestructible and this area is prone to snails (though as we're cleaning up the entire yard, we hope to be doing away with their hidey-holes.)

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Hi Canicci,

Are you going to keep the plants that you already have in the beds, aside from the Mexican Heather?

I don't edge my beds, so I'm kind of at a loss on this topic. If you like the Mexican Heather, you could plant a whole bunch of it, and reserve the area to the back of the bed for something a little taller. Depending on how much room there is, golden Breath of Heaven might work. If it's shady enough, Japanese Holly fern is pretty, but it gets really big.
Renee

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Growing canker on plum and nectarine trunks
I have a small back yard orchard, most of which was...
Aaron Davidsson
California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.
I heard that on the news last night. By 2060 Soucal...
stanofh
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™