Purple Pitcher transition (Saracenia purpurea)

jimbolhiMarch 2, 2009

In early January, after returning from a trip down the southeast coast and seeing many carnivorous plants, I got a couple of the deathcube Lowes plants as an Xmas stocking stuffer. The split rock didn't makes it, but the P.P. seems to be thriving. Based on this one and other forums, I didn't "winter" the plant as it was only a couple of inches high. I took it out of the cube and 50/50 mixed it into a small reptile cage, and place it on the window sill on bright days, and on a kitchen counter with gro-lights above it when not. New shoots seem to pop up overnight, and each shoot seems to grow larger and have more color. When and how should I effectively make the transition to the outdoors, and when should I bring it indoors for dormancy. Also, just how much drainage is needed if I transfer it to a larger pot environment? Thanx!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sundew21(usda 7)

Hi there I would try the outdoors in spring when it's warmer and for dormancy be4 a big frost hits bring it in. put it a pot with draninage holes in the bottom and set it in a tray with 1 inch of distilled water no tap or anything that has additives in it. Should have a good thriving plant I recommend reading The Savage Garden everything you need to know. Good Luck...

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 12:02PM
woodnative(6)

Hey! I grew up in Bucks County although I now live in NJ. I grow my Sarrs in large, plastic, undrained pots. I grow them in a mix of mostly peat moss, with some sand, perlite, and acidic soil (from under a large pine tree) mixed in. They stay outside on my patio from about April through about late October. The plants naturally begin to go dormant with the shorter days and cooler temps, and I leave them outide for a few frosts. Before it gets REALLY cold, I bring them in to my dark, attached garage. They get trimmed back sometime in Feb, and go out again sometime in early April.
When you bring your plant outside in Spring (I would recommend early May since it is actively growing), start it out in bright shade with just a little bit of mrongin sun, and SLOWLY move it into a sunnier position over a period of about two weeks or so.

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 12:21PM
orquidman2004(z8 Coastal Ga.)

Hola-Ikeep all the sarracenias outside all year! And trim the old leaves when they brgin grow new groth all over.
Luis

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 6:35PM
hunterkiller03(9)

New shoots donÂt pop over night from a Sarracenia rhizome. About dormancy, lower temperatures & a drop of photoperiod triggers the dormancy. That is usually in the beginning of winter.

Anyways. Keep up posted on your plants.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 1:01AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Actually dormancy is triggered by the changes that occur in Fall and not Winter.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 7:53PM
tommyr_gw

After all danger of frost put it outside in FULL SUN. Keep it outside until night temps stay at around 40 degrees. I put mine in the fridge for the winter until mid February then I take them out and place in a south or west window until all danger of frost is gone (end of May). Mine are blooming right now on a south facing Kitchen table.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
Venus flytrap dormancy
hi I just wanted to know the best way to get my Venus...
compostworm5
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
Help with N. alata
Hi, We have recently added the wonderful pitcher plant...
Nagem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™