Repotted Venus Flytrap- Concerned!

mistwolf111March 28, 2014

About a week ago I got a venus flytrap... It came in a little plastic pot, that was full of Sphagnum moss. It took me the full week to find soil I thought might work. (I went by information I looked up on the internet. It had peat moss and perlite and claimed good drainage- seemed to fit what I read.. and it didn't say anything about added nutrients/fertilizers.) So last night I repotted it, and then watered it. This morning, when I went to check on it, I was surprised to find the outside of the clay pot I'd put it in completely covered with white powdery stuff. I tasted it (because I read it was probably salt) and it.. tasted... like salt.

The plant itself started drooping quite a bit, and most of the traps closed, and I'm pretty sure that they didn't just happen to catch a lot of insects.

The water I used was melted snow (and I let it warm up too so it wasn't cold!)... not tap water.

I'm scared it's going to die...

Does it sound like it'll recover? What can I do to help? Is the salt from the pot itself somehow, or is it probably in the soil I used? Any information would help...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Drosera84(8a)

It is best to buy peat moss and perlite separately because most of soil mix do have fertilizer in them.
Sail + VF= death plant
I am assume you get your snow from the street where they spray down with salt to melt the snow?
What you can do is wash the root with distilled water, get new media, keep it in low light and wait

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 1:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

It might be mold or fungus. Use a SULPHUR based fungicide if it is. It'll take a while for the plant to recover from repotting.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™