The cup Runneth Over

dranomaxMarch 2, 2008

One of my Nepenthes Talangensis pitchers if very close to running over with its fluid. I've never had experiance with this and so I was wondering if it's normal. I havn't been able to feed it lately and so I figure it's just really hungry and 'salivating' for some food. Is this normal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mutant_hybrid(8)

Each Nepenthes will generate a different number of glands with different activity levels in each of its pitchers. The largest pitcher of my N. sanguinea barely produces liquid at all, just barely enough to drown a few insects and digest them. Other pitchers on the same plant produce liquid up to 1/4 or 1/3 the pitcher in depth. Some pitchers produce a huge amount of nectar, dripping all over the table, and some produce only enough to dry on the pitcher itself.

No, your plant does not "feel" hungry or full like we do, so cannot salivate like many animals do. It will react to environmental cues, like insects struggling in its pitcher, by generating more digestive enzymes, but this is just a simple reaction that is not learned or easily changeable and is not connected with a central nervous system.

If the plant is still pitchering and growing normally, it has enough fertilizer. If in doubt, drop an ant or other small insect (or even a tiny bit of fish food, like tubifex worms) in a pitcher every few weeks.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Advice on Venus Fly Trap care
Hello everyone, I just recently I bought a venus fly...
fuzzywolf
peat/sand mix
This might seem like a silly question, just starting...
johnmathieson23
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™