Recently purchased Nepenthes Miranda. Need advice.

DragonflyguyMarch 11, 2012

I'm new to Nepenthes but not to cultivating carnivorous plants and so this is my first purchase. Unfortunately, the care card that came with it is useless and "The Savage Garden" has little insight on this plant.

I want to keep it outdoors, preferably in a location that only gets morning sun.

Would this plant do well outdoors in North Texas? As a comparison, I am able to grow venus flytraps and cape sundews outdoors without any problem. Or should I keep it indoors? I do have a sunny windowsill where a Cephalotus has been thriving.

What is the temperature range of tolerance for this plant and does it need a lot of humidity? Is it a lowland or highland variety?

Several pitchers are shriveled up a brown, should I remove them? And should I be worried that so many

When should the plant be repotted and what soil mix is preferred? Is foliar fertilization necessary?

Sorry if that's so many questions but I always want to be sure about raising a new plant.

I've included a few pics for reference.

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/s4t9bo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/ea16dy.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dragonflyguy

Sorry, here are the imagesL

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 2:21PM
tommyr_gw

Bright, filtered Sun. Keep moist at all times (Not in a water tray!) and clip off any pitchers that are dieing or you can't stand. They can not tolerate frost.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 12:27PM
Johnsp(6b)

Nepenthes for the most part are easy to grow BUT in order for them to produce pitchers require humidity levels of at least 50% preferably 60%. Bright light and morning sun also needed. Here in the NE I give mine direct sun most of the day except high summer along with high humidity and lack of humidity will cause pitcher loss.

Scott

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 5:22PM
Johnsp(6b)

Nepenthes for the most part are easy to grow BUT in order for them to produce pitchers require humidity levels of at least 50% preferably 60%. Bright light and morning sun also needed. Here in the NE I give mine direct sun most of the day except high summer along with high humidity and lack of humidity will cause pitcher loss.

Scott

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 7:14PM
Dragonflyguy

Well, it's been a little over a month and I've gotten one new pitcher so far. New leaves are unfurling from the top. I have a quick follow up question about watering.

How tolerant are Nepenthes of tap water compared to other CPs? My local water is 200ppm.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 12:53PM
tommyr_gw

It is said they can tolerate tap water but I would say it depends on the TDSs. I don't know if 200 is too high. I'd use rainwater or distilled personally.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 11:54AM
RainforestGuy

Don't pamper your nepenthes, they can take a lot of hell with ease.
Do get them accustomed to growing ina particular area and do not move it around. N. Miranda has N. northiana in it as a parent and this species does not like to be moved around too much. But because this is a hybrid, they will adapt much better to their new surroundings much quicker and show positive growth signs.
The reason why your plant isn't making much pitchers is because it needs nitrogen and it isn't receiving any with pitcher-less plant parts. Feed your plants with a dilute GrowMore Liquid Seaweed Extract and or Peter's Soluble fertilizer. Just a few watering applications will lead your plant in the right direction for growth and development of attractive big pitchers.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Venus flytrap dormancy
hi I just wanted to know the best way to get my Venus...
compostworm5
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
My huge pitcher from propagation (N. ventrata)
Hi I'm new in this forum and I want to show you my...
NepenthesGrower
Advice on Venus Fly Trap care
Hello everyone, I just recently I bought a venus fly...
fuzzywolf
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™