Purple pitcher plant size

gardenper(8)March 19, 2014

I've recently began to grow some of these CPs. I was trying to get a feel for how big a purple pitcher plant can get to know what size of pot to put it in for this first season of growing it, but it seems that it may be small for a few years.

On another note, I did see a large one at Lowes (it was about 6-7" tall). I am wondering if I should buy/help/rescue that plant as it might be uncommon to have one that size at these stores or if it they will commonly be that size in a short time.

(Being that size, the pitchers were well-formed and quite easy to see, which should add some excitement to when it grabs a some insects -- there about 3 of them plus other leaves).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goofy_507

All I know is that he shall be saved! I'm not sure about the growth rate of purpurea. I've had mine for 4 years in minnesota and it's doubled outside. I also bailed him out of lowes!

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 8:16PM
Sundewd(9B)

The Purps from Lowes are usually okay... I picked up 3 they had on sale earlier this year. All of them easily divided into two plants that are all now flourishing in bright shade. Purpleing up and everything. Can't comment much on growth rate yet but once you find conditions they like they pretty much take off. I do have several pots of young seedlings as well.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 5:04PM
gardenper(8)

Well, like some purchases, I sat on the idea for a few days and I've decided I would still like it, so I'll go check today and see if it's still around. At least if it isn't, that means someone else picked it up and hopefully they will get some enjoyment from it.

Thanks for the info!

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Help with N. alata
Hi, We have recently added the wonderful pitcher plant...
Nagem
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
Nepenthes for beginners
Hi, I used to be a member of Garden Web years ago when...
HollowOakFarm
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™