How to properly fertilize in-ground plantings

orincaJuly 7, 2014

Hello ya'll, Im new to the forum and more important new to farming/gardening in Southern California!
I'm looking for advice on how to rig up my drip irrigation systems to inject fertilizer instead of hand sowing granules or using a hose sprayer.
This year I have 6 rows each 100 ft long, currently I'm able to irrigate with drip line, however Im having a tough time fertilizing my crops.
I done alot of research but my solutions range from a $20 venturi-siphon hose attachment to a +$500 high speed fertilizer injector.
I dont want to go cheap, but I dont need to go bankrupt either since I'm farming to save money on perishable foods.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

It works better to feed your soil, by adding compost yearly to build the structure of your soil, which will feed your plants. In more than 20 years on this property, I have never used anything on my soil except compost and mulch. My neighbor grows grapes on more than 350 acres, without ever adding any fertilizer. Just because the chemical companies want to sell something to put on our soil, does not mean we need it. Al

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 9:46AM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

I have a dosatron. They are awesome.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 11:24AM
orinca

Calistoga: I'd prefer to amend the soil with mulch and compost, however currently its not feasible for me to rip up all my crops and add organic matter back into the soil. After this growing season I'll till the crops under and that will provide some organic matter back into the ground. I'm not looking to buy conventional fertilizer either, "Organic" types will work just as well for me.

Nil13: What type of Dosatron do you have? I was looking at the MiniDos 2,5%, but I need to be a bit more educated on what types of application rates I should be looking at for "in-organic" and "organic" fertilizers.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 12:24PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

What are your "crops?"

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 7:12PM

I have the DM11F.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 2:06PM
orinca

nil13: How well does that model work for you? what proportions does it regulate? How big can the holding tank be with that injector?

desertdance: corn, melons, squash, carrots, tobacco, peppers etc...

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:01AM

The proportion is a fixed 1:128. I use a 5gal water jug as my reservoir. I'm sure you could go bigger. I have the dosatron mounted about 5 feet off the ground with the 5 gal jug on the ground and it pulls the liquid without problem.

I love it. It works great.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
chrysanthemums california!
Hi all, I bought these lovely yellow chrysanthemums...
Vyoma Hadkar Khaparde
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
Please Help Save the Monarch Butterflies
I posted this info to the Butterfly Garden Forum, but...
Evelyn256
ISO Bored/Retired Landscape Designer In Sacramento Area
Posting to ask if anyone in my area might know if there...
billy3p
New House - Need Help!
Hi Everyone, I recently moved into my new home in Orange,...
Phil Arnold
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™