Nepenthes Ventrata Questions

Sunrise Vineyards(6 (Western NY))March 9, 2013

Hello,

I purchased a Nepenthes Ventrata over the summer from a local garden center. I have a few questions.

Since the summer, my Nepenthes Ventrata produced two beautiful 20" shoots with nice leaves, however no pitchers at all. It is hanging in an east facing window over my kitchen sink. I live in zone 6 just outside Buffalo NY.

I called the garden center where it was purchased and asked them why it does not produce pitchers. I was told that it will not produce pitchers until it is placed outdoors for the summer. This contradicts other info I have read stating it should be placed in a bright window with no indirect sunlight.

Would it be safe to hang this outdoors on the east side of my house with only morning and early afternoon sunlight?

Also, I have read where some people feed these plants with goldfish pellets and bloodworms. is this recommended?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

They for the most part stop making pitchers over the winter. Although you MAY get an occasional one. Starting in about April go get some Orchid fertilizer. Make a 1/4 strength solution of it (using rain or distilled water only) and put some in a spray bottle. Spray the plant well every 2 weeks. This initiates pitchering. Make sure it gets bright indirect Sun.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:53PM
PRO
Sunrise Vineyards(6 (Western NY))

Thank You!

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 12:56PM
gerris2

Is N. ventrata a good nep to grow for a newbie to the genus? If not, which one has reasonable hardiness for our temperate climate in USA?

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 12:42PM
tommyr_gw

Yes, Ventrata or Ventricosa are 2 easy one.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Conditions for Cephalotus seeds?
What conditions are necessary for germination of the...
townhouserOnt
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™