Variegated fritillary chrysalis

karyn1(7a)September 30, 2010

My first variegated fritillary pupated a couple days ago. What a beautiful chrysalis! Temps are cooling here. If kept outside will it go into diapause? I couldn't find info online. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Oh, lucky you! I would adore seeing one in person. Do you have a pic so that we can see it too? Your post inspired me to read up on them, and I did not remember that they will use Sedum as a host plant. I read that adults will overwinter in the South but not in the North. Maybe that means that yours will overwinter as a chrysalis and then eclose next spring? Someone here will know. Congrats!

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 12:29PM
runmede(7a Virginia)

I went to the Chesapeake Bay about a week ago. They were migrating along with the Monarchs and Buckeyes.

Scott ("Butterflies of North America...") said that they probably go south and do not winter over.

I've never had them use Sedum, but I'll have to check now. I've seen them use violets, pansies, and passifora.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 12:38PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I can't find any information as to how they overwinter. The ones I've raised in the past have all emerged, even the ones in the fall, so they probably overwinter as adults, in which case, they probably go to south Florida or south Texas. One mild winter, some gulf frits of mine overwintered outside as caterpillars, so that's possible, too.
Sherry

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 1:02PM
caterwallin

Is it any problem to post a link to another forum? I found where a person listed a bunch of butterflies and how each of them spend the winter.
Cathy

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 7:51PM
karyn1(7a)

Thanks for the info. I did get a pic but have no idea how to upload to the computer. I finally have a good camera, Nikon DS5000, but have to read up on how to use it. My little digital was so easy but it died. Eventually I'll figure out what to do. lol

Cathy there shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't trying to link from DG. That's a no no now which is too bad because there's a ton of info there.

I found these on a passiflora and thought they were GF's at first.

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 7:47AM
caterwallin

Karyn, Thanks for the info. I thought I remembered of someone saying about not linking from a forum but couldn't remember if it was that specific one or any forum. I'll include the link below. It's a post of someone on that forum who listed a bunch of butterflies and included how they overwinter. I don't know if it's from her personal experience or where the info came from.

Congrats on your new camera! We expect to see a lot of nice pictures now. ;-)
Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: How Butterflies Survive the Winter

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 2:57PM
karyn1(7a)

Thanks for that link. I was surprised to see how many varieties over-winter in the colder climates.

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 12:07PM
karyn1(7a)

I finally figured out how to upload pics. Of course the pic of the chrysalis stinks. I went to take another last night but it's no longer metallic. It looks like it will eclose very soon.

Here's unrelated pics after I figured out how to use the camera. I'm really happy with it but have a lot more to learn.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
Journey of the Butterly
PBS stations are repeating The Incredible Jouney of...
flowerpowerx
Starting to look good in the south U.S.A....
Yesterday and today I saw butterflies here in my "yard". Actually...
dragonflydee
We need Monarch wings to help injured Monarchs!
We are looking for Monarch wings anyone has saved from...
KSOhio
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™