planters flanking front door

habitat_gardener(z9 CA/Sunset15)July 27, 2007

I'm looking for ideas for plants that will look good next to the front door, do well in a large container with weekly watering, be more or less symmetrical with slightly different conditions, stay under a foot high, and not go too much wider than a foot.

My neighbor's terra cotta planters are on both sides of the front door, each about 2.5 to 3 ft. high, and 1 foot wide and deep. Her landscape designer planted phormium and bacopa in them, and the mailman has been asking if she could do something about them -- the mail slot is a foot above one pot, and it's not pleasant to be poked in the eye with overgrown phormium! The door faces east, and because of surrounding shrubs, one pot gets more heat and light than the other, but they're both in direct sun with afternoon shade. They get hand-watered once a week. Plants along the front walk include biokovo geranium, bergenia, dogwood (a few trees fell down in the past couple years, so it used to be shadier).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susi_so_calif(USDA10/Sunset24)

How about succulents? There's a terrific new book available by Debra Lee Baldwin, called "Designing with Succulents."

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 1:21AM
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

How about:

Aeonium, AEONIUM (many kinds, some that will be 1x1)
Anigozanthos 'Pink Joey', DWARF KANGAROO PAW
Billbergia, QUEENÂS TEARS
Carex, SEDGES (many many; some 1x1; go for the variegated ones that will brighten up the dark spot)
Cuphea, most are about 1x1
Liriope 'Silvery Sunproof', LILY TURF
Phormium dwarf cultivars, NEW ZEALAND FLAX (there's 2 or 3 that fill out to about 1x1)

And IMPO, a 1x1 plant will look like a lump in a 3-foot high container, so....

Add a spiller plant to the mounding (above) plant. Something that will trail over and down the sides.

Joe

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 6:19PM
habitat_gardener(z9 CA/Sunset15)

Thanks for the suggestions. I went back with a tape measure and found out the planter is 2 ft. high, and 2 ft. below the mail slot, so there's a little more leeway.

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 12:50AM
davissue_zone9(z9 Sunset 14)

Here's an example that can take shade, some drought stress, looks good year around- EUONYMUS fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety' paired with a white flowered form of liriope. (sorry for the lousy photoshop selection but it would have taken forever to clean up the liriope picture)

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™