Growing Sarracenia outdoors in AZ with tap water

mulleniumMarch 16, 2009

I have 2 Sarracenia's I've been growing as windowsill plants for awhile but they dont seem to be growing too well.

Would the summers in AZ kill these plants? also would the irrigation water kill them as it's just tap water

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

These are OUTDOOR plants and will not do well inside at all. They need full Sun, at least 6-8 hours or more a day. NO TAP WATER, distilled, rain or reverse osmosis water ONLY. No bottled water either.

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 6:16PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

tommyr once again this is your opinion and not fact and you should say it as IMO.

Mullenium your sarrs. will do fine inside as long as they get 6 hrs of direct sun or you are using grow lights to supplement the sun light if less than 6 hrs. A south facing window will work fine. The water may be your problem. It is more than tap water if it is running through a dirty ditch. Your tap water would probably be better. If the ppm of your tap water is below 100 it will work just fine. For now buy some distilled bottled water to use and see if that helps. No spring or drinking water as these contain salts and minerals that will kill your plants. Distilled water is usually in the laundry soap isle at the grocery store.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 11:36AM
peace-maker-cp(9)

Try to use distilled, or reverse osomosis water. CP's need low-nutrient soils and tap water tends to have too much. And the Sarrs can tolerate temps up to about 90-95. I live in Phoenix and with the absurd weeks and months of temps in the 110's and 100's, I think you may want to grow them indoors, possibly under very bright fluorescent lights or near a relatively cool windowsill that gets the amount of sunlight that taz mentioned above. If you live in areas like Prescott or Flagstaff though, the pitcher plants should grow beautifully outdoors, given the right soil, water, etc.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 1:32AM
tommyr_gw

Good luck, you WILL be replacing them as they will not do well indoors. See http://cobraplant.com/index.php for more information. These people know what they are talking about.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
Conditions for Cephalotus seeds?
What conditions are necessary for germination of the...
townhouserOnt
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™