Sarracenia and phyllodia

jsehornMarch 23, 2011

I understand that it is usual for S. leucophylla to produce phyllodia in the late spring/early summer, but what triggers the production of phyllodia? Is it temperature, day length, or what? The reason I ask is because I have acquired a S. leucophylla and a S. "Judith Hindle", both of which are plants I have grown before. I live in Oregon now so this probably won't be an issue like it was when I lived in Oklahoma, but mostly I'm just curious.

I've never had any problem whatsoever with Sarracenia, but when I lived in Oklahoma I tried a few times to grow S. leucophylla, but even through late summer and all through fall, all my plants ever produced were phyllodia (while all my other Sarraceniae did fine), and knowing S. leucophylla is known for producing phyllodia, I tried a leucophylla hybrid, "Judith Hindle" thinking that because of it's parents other than leucophylla it would work out, and it behaved the same way, producing nothing but phyllodia.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'll see how those two do here in Oregon this year, but I'm perplexed as to why I wasn't able to grow them in Oklahoma despite all my other Sarraceniae doing just fine under the same growing conditions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

Stress is usually the cause. Normally you see these in the start of the growing season to help with photosynthesis.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Advice on Venus Fly Trap care
Hello everyone, I just recently I bought a venus fly...
fuzzywolf
Nepenthes for Beginner
I'm looking to start growing nepenthes. What I've researched...
mildew
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
Pitcher Plant for a Beginner...
I'm new to carnivorous plants and was interested in...
iheartroscoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™