Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae) 'Emerald' rate of growth.

kutsyyJuly 3, 2013

Hello,

We are looking to create a hedge/screen on the north side of the fence. Ideally it should be 12'-15' high and 3'-4' wide. We are near Palo Alto and our sunset zone is 15-16 (we are on the border). The place gets full sun in the summer, but in the winter the fence will block the sun.

One of the plant we are thinking is Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae) 'Emerald' but I am concerned about the rate of grough. If we would plant 6' tall plant (15 gal) how long would it take to get to 10'?

We were also recommended Prunus caroliniana but I am not sure I like it. Italian cypress is also an option we are looking at. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Vadim

Here is a link that might be useful: Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae) 'Emerald'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

P. caroliniana gets considerably wider than 3-4' unless you plan to trim it regularly, and there is a spot-hole disease that can make them shabby looking. Reseeding can be a problem when they mature, as well.

I would look at some of the fastigate junipers. They are quite fast and much smaller than mature Thuja or Italian Cypress. Italian Cypress will want to get much, much larger than your requirements.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue arrow juniper, for example

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™