WANTED: Houseplants Outside

bonnie_il(8)March 18, 2011

Hi all.

I'm fairly new to NC. When is a good time to put your houseplants outdoors?

I know the yellow dust should start in about a week, so I know it will have to be after that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonnie_il(8)

Sorry I didn't mean to put wanted on the subject line.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 7:16AM
trianglejohn

I put half of my stuff outside already just to take advantage of the nicer temperatures. I'm sure we'll at least have a cool down period before the real spring gets here. I may move my extra large stuff out of the basement this weekend (which I will live to regret if we get really cold temps again).

I don't think you can control the "Have" and "Wanted" start to the posting, it's built into the program.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 9:50AM
Tammy Kennedy

it's built in- you probably want to post this in the main forum if you want a lot of answers. This sub forum is really just for swaps and exchanges.

The yellow dust won't hurt anything but would need to get washed or rained off for appearance sake. We are to get below freezing temps later next week so you may want to wait unless you don't mind lugging them back & forth. The general rule is to bring houseplants out when it's staying above 50 at night, but i don't wait that long. Mine go out after the last freeze (around mid april here), whenever i get time to get them outside, which tends to be a couple weeks after that.

Also, if they are full sun plants be sure to put them in a semi shady spot for a few days to acclimate to outside. Even full shade outside is sunnier than full sun inside and they will burn if you put them in full sun right off. Or plan to take them out before a couple cloudy days and let them acclimate that way.

In the fall i procrastinate and get them back in late, right before a freeze, but they do much better if you get them in when it's going a bit below 50 at night. I just always have a lot going on in the fall, and debugging them is a pain.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 11:11AM
bonnie_il(8)

Thank you for the information. I got half of them out on the covered porch. I'll work on the others another day.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
wish list/ wanted
Is anyone bring Tuberose bulbs and Indian Jasmine...
Sabji garden
HAVE: Spring 2014 Raleigh Swap - Food List
I'm bringing Cranberry Chicken Salad and/on Croissants. John:...
jdbheartsease
WANTED: perennials in and around charlotte
I have a massive backyard which I would like to fill...
aeiger
WANTED: High Point swap?
I haven't been on in a while...does anyone know if...
cherrykist
HAVE: Charlotte Spring 2014 Plant Swap
The 2014 plant swap is set for Sunday, May 4 at 2pm...
elaine5678
Sponsored Products
LBL Lighting | Onyx Dome Chandelier Head
$196.00 | YLighting
Trilliane Strands Stainless Steel Six-Light Round Medium Pendant with Clear Heri
Bellacor
Casam Lounge Chair
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Avanti Grey 7' 10" x 10'
Home Depot
Blue 5050 LED Strip Light 60/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Place Cards & Stands
$72.00 | Horchow
Coffee Corduroy Monroe Chair
Cost Plus World Market
Robert Abbey Delta Schiaparelli Pink 22 1/2" High Table Lamp