Teeny, Tiny Bee?

peachymomo(Ca 8)July 10, 2012

I was out admiring my flowers yesterday and while checking out all the insect activity around the bog sage I saw what looked a really small bee. At first I thought it was a little wasp, but then I noticed that it had faint stripes and a little bit of fuzz on it's body and pollen sacks on it's legs. It was probably less than a quarter of the size of a normal honeybee, I've never seen or heard of such a bee before. But after noticing one I saw another later on in the same patch of sage, they are so little they can climb into the sage flower the way a bumblebee climbs into a nasturtium.

Are they common and I just never knew about them before? Or it is not a bee at all and I'm completely mistaken? I'm suddenly very curious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Good job! You are attracting native bees to your yard. There are lots of species, each with their plant preferences. You can encourage more by putting up a bee house for them. I drill different sized holes two inches deep into a piece of 4x4 lumber and put a little slanted roof on it. There are some elaborate designs out there- you can make the bee house a feature of your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect houses

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 6:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
napapen(ca 15)

There are many species of native mason, leafcutter, and digger bees. Some nest in wood holes or holes in the ground. They are solitary bees and live short lives. But they did evolve with our native plants.

Penny

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™