WANTED: Are some cultivars of figs more cold hardy than others?

alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)March 27, 2008

Are some cultivars more cold hardy, or does cultivating figs require not too much fertilizer and some patience? I see very large figs growing out in the open here in Johnston County. We got a fig from DH's grandmother's garden that was hunkered down on the south side of a shed and got cut down frequently by the cold. In its current location it grows quite large every year but the growth is too tender to overwinter. Actually it's in more than one location: we also have a new piece south of the house and another new piece up at the top of the hill above the house. It will be interesting to see if there are any differences in how these trees in the different locations perform.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

I wondered where this post went, lol. Posted in the wrong place.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 3:29PM
Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)

I have a Celeste fig tree here in Raleigh that is reportedly very hardy and tastes great. At the JCRA there are Kodata, LSU Purple, Alma and Lattarula. Last spring Kodata got killed to the ground, but the others survived the freeze with the loss of some fruit but no damage to the tree itself. By the way, Kodata is reputed to be one of the oldest named fruit cultivars - it was listed by the Greeks as being grown in 300 BC. Most figs do much better if grown against a south facing wall to provide some winter cold protection.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 2:30PM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

Ralph is Kodata a white-fruited variety? Gene's aunt grows that out in Arizona. We've got a piece of his grandmother's fig planted on the south side of the house, to try to help it.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 5:19PM
tamelask(z8a NC)

alma is 'white'- not sure about kodata. Interesting info, ralph, thanks for posting.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's a good info site:

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Fall 2014 Raleigh Plant Swap
The Raleigh Fall Swap will be held Saturday, October...
trianglejohn
WANTED: High Point swap?
I haven't been on in a while...does anyone know if...
cherrykist
WANTED: plants to swap
I am bringing these plants to the swap: Native grape...
plantbug
HAVE: Free Potting Soil
Located in Anderson, SC. Must be able to load yourself....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
WANTED: Red Cascading Rose - Raleigh Plant Swap
Hello, Does anyone have a red cascading rose that will...
jdbheartsease
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™