A Big Surprise This Morning

moonwolf_gwSeptember 12, 2011

Hi everyone,

After coming back from the post office this morning, look at what mom and I found on one of her old bird feeders:

I was wondering where some of those cats had gone! Now I'm going to have to look for three more (one cat is still on the tropical milkweed; I may have to bring him inside).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Hehehe! You need to put a "cat" bell on those rascals!
Sherry

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 10:34AM
moonwolf_gw

lol Sherry, that's not a bad idea! I brought it inside and it's hanging in my east facing bedroom window. When the chrysalis turns clear, I'll put it back outside so it can eclose there. I saw Monarchs fluttering at the Mexican sunflowers/tithonia outside the window. Maybe they're the cats that were devouring my tropical milkweed!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 12:40PM
terrene(5b MA)

Brad, why put it outside when it turns clear? Watching them eclose is the most exciting part of raising butterflies (for me anyway). They are very tame when they first eclose, you can easily bring the butterfly outside and it will either fly away, or you can place it on a sunny perch to fly away when it's ready.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 10:56AM
moonwolf_gw

Terrene, mom didn't want it fluttering about when it first eclosed. We put it back outside in a sheltered spot. The only thing is that it's supposed to turn colder tonight (40's) and I'm extremely worried that it might freeze. Should I bring it back in?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 3:07PM
terrene(5b MA)

It won't freeze in the 40's. But the cooler temps will slow down the growth of the butterfly and it will be slower to eclose. I keep my cats and chrysalises in as warm temps as possible - to speed up their development so they will eclose and get on their way sooner rather than later, because it's starting to get cool here too.

The butterfly won't flutter around when it first ecloses - it simply needs to hang from something to expand and dry its wings. It will hang pretty quietly for a couple hours (at least) and only start fluttering when it's ready to fly.

The chrysalis will start to turn transparent about 24 hours before the butterfly ecloses, and mine almost always eclose in the morning. If you can be around to watch it, it's great. But if you can't be around to monitor it, you could put it outside in a sunny sheltered spot then.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 7:23PM
moonwolf_gw

Thank you, terrene!

I'm going to bring it back in again so I can get it sent on it's way. Ooh! This is so exciting!!!!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™