Carolina sphinx moths!

TomatoWorm59September 3, 2011

My first one just eclosed about an hour ago. Eight more to follow. Soooo happy to be successfully rearing these amazing creatures successfully now, since I'm not in a region overrun with tachinid flies.

I just wish my friend Susan Lynne had not been out of pocket for past 2 weeks or so, so I could have sent the pupae to her, to bring in a few healthy moths to a county nearly devoid of this species.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mytabbycat

Congrats! They are my favorite out of all the caterpillars, butterflies, and moths! I was lucky enough to have 2 this year make it all the way to the moth stage. Normally I find the hornworms after they have been parasitized and it's always so heartbreaking to check in on them and find those wasp larvae! :( This year the 2 I found were itty bitty babies and all was well. The moths are so beautiful!

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 7:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TomatoWorm59

Thank you, mytabbycat. I get so sick and tired of all the propaganda against the Manduca sphingids, when careful gardening measures, such as either simply growing EXTRA tomato plants, allowing related "weeds" to grow as a barrier/trap or even just thinning out by culling all surplus hornworms [if there's too many] will provide safe, reasonable habitat for both man and insect.

I totally disagree with the ploy to never kill a parasitized larva. The parasites need control, too. While the gardening magazines only push the pics of braconid cocoon-covered hornworms, the ugly truth is, they go after any and all butterflies and other moths. They are NOT specific to sphingids!

Keep searching for the smallest of hornworms, rear indoors, release the moths! You are helping conserve our beautiful sphinx moths!

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™