Euphorbia flowers male or female

karyn1(7a)June 19, 2012

How do you tell the difference between male and female flowers? I pulled up Bikerdoc's old post but the pics are no longer available. These are blooms on a meloformis, white ball and fruticosa. Can the meloformis and white ball be used to pollinate each other? TIA

I know this isn't a succulent but there's several fruit on my Corallocarpus bainesii. I have no idea if they'll hold. This is the first year that fruit has developed. It blooms early on but the caudex is very slow to enlarge.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Sorry Karyn. The first pic is a male flower. If you use a magnifying glass, you'll see there is a yellow "powdery" material on the ends of the anthers. The male flower will begin with, usually, yellow ball-like structures which will mature and become fuzzy or powdery; sometimes they don't mature and just fall off as small yellow balls. OK, let's not allow our minds to get off topic, here, this is a "G-rated" site!!!! The second pic is a female and is typical of Euphorbia female flowers in that it has 3 stigma to its pistil. The third pic is a very immature female flower.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 8:52AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Maybe a correction on the 3rd pic. The pic is not clear and it could be a monecious flower. With some monecious Euphorbia, the female flower emerges first followed shortly by the male flower, as with this picture of Euphorbia leuconeura

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 9:12AM
karyn1(7a)

Thanks Howard. I remembered your previous post but when I went back the pics weren't there. I tried lifting some pollen from the meloformis with a paint brush but didn't really see any loose pollen so I guess they are still immature. I'll see what happens with them and the fruticosa flowers over the next several days.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 11:36AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Bikerdoc, I only see one picture where you said there were 2. Is what you call the third picture a second picture?

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:31PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Mara, Karyn posted three pictures of Euphorbia flowers. My reference is to her pictures.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:51PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Karyn, are you trying to cross the Euphorbia White Ball Project with the Euphorbia meloformis? The female flowers on the E. meloformis are not ready to accept pollen. You should be able to cross the other Euphorbia when the pollen gets fuzzy. If you have a problem using the paint brush, try a very fine pointed pair of tweezers and pluck off some pollen anthers and apply them directly to the stigma. If you are successful, you'll know in about 10 days to two weeks because you'll see a swollen green seed capsule. Don't forget to cover it, or you won't have any seed after the explosion!!!!!!

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:59PM
karyn1(7a)

I was going to try using the meloformis pollen on the white ball but the pollen isn't ready yet. They are still "little balls". Hopefully I'll see some fluffy pollen before the flowers on the white ball drop.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 4:02PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Karyn, keep me posted. I have a meloformis that should have some female flowers synchronized with my male White Ball Project and both of us maybe will get some positive results.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
ID please: Aloe hybr.
Hello, Rosemarie once id-ed this Aloe, but I forgot....
hablu
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Will this poor Jade leaf make it all the way to a new plant?
Hi, A few weeks ago I witnessed a leaf fall from a...
ash1970_gw
mixing the al's gritty mix questions.
Do I put the 1:1:1 ratio together by weight or volume?...
Britni Rice
amazing looking succulent too good to be true?
Anyone have any naysay about ordering from online?...
Britni Rice
Sponsored Products
18-Inch Tiffany Honey Locust Two-Light Wall Sconce
$367.20 | Bellacor
David Bromstad Purple "Flowers in Unity" Artwork
Grandin Road
White Wash Dining Table - Rectangle
$306.99 | Dot & Bo
Stained Glass Tiffany Flower Shade Table Lamps Lighting Decoration
ParrotUncle
Blazing Needles 'Exotic Flowers' Chenille Corded Throw Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Dale Tiffany Lamps 29 in. Lydia Fieldstone Table Lamp TT100588
Home Depot
Royal Folding Chair - Skagerak
$369.00 | HORNE
Flos | Wallflower Outdoor Lamp
$199.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™