Monarch with folded wing

jibd(6)September 16, 2012

Hi all,

I had a monarch emerge this morning with a fold in its wing.

The one wing is fine:

But as you can see, the other wing is folded in one part.

This is a blurry picture, but you can see the wings are also leaning to one side.

Is there anything I can do for it? I'm not sure if it will be able to fly like this, but my gut tells me no.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

Your butterfly doesn't look too bad, but I don't know if he can fly or not. I released 3 Monarchs so far this year that had some sort of wing malformation - one came out with crumpled wings that didn't open fully, one fell down after emerging and couldn't get up to hang, and a third emerged with 1 normal wing and 1 very small deformed wing. None of these 3 butterflies could fly normally, so I would take them out back and put them on a nectar flower in the garden and let nature take its course.

Some people have kept a butterfly in a cage and will feed it with something like juice or flowers. Sort of like keeping the butterfly as a pet. I figure that there is mortality in nature, and that's the way it is. Most of these butterflies wouldn't even have a life if we didn't rear them in protected cages or indoors.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 8:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

I've read about people ironing monarch wings but I have not done it myself.

There is a good video on monarch wing repair. If you have some spare wings, you could go this route.

Here is a link that might be useful: Live Monarch Foundation - How to fix a broken butterfly wing

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™