Fall and Winter Color in garden

HappyinmyGarden1000July 8, 2013

I am in So CA and want to know what perennials I should be planting now, or soon, so that I have color for fall and winter. I already have daffodils in the ground so I don't need any more of those. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

It would be helpful to know either your town/location or Sunset zone, as recommendations will vary depending on your local climate. Some perennials I like using for the extraordinary length of bloom season would include many Mexican cloudforest Salvia species that are fall and winter blooming but can also get shrub sized and may not be that freeze tolerant. Also more common plants such as Verbena bonariensis, Calandrinia grandiflora, Erysimum linifolium 'Bowle's Mauve', Justicia brandegeana, Plectranthus zuluensis, Justicia carnea.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 3:33PM
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

In many areas of SoCal you need to plan farther ahead fall color. I find many of my summer flowers will bloom into early December with deadheading (Hemerocalis 'Russian Rhapsody', Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer', Gaillardia, to name a few). Fall becomes a plan for December-March flowers, and the inserting the annual-grown perennials that go until I yank their tired little bodies out of the soil (dianthus, pansies). Freesias are a great one to plant, if you are not in too cold an area. Best deal I know of is a bag for $12 from CostCo in the fall; they will bloom every spring and multiply, so you really only need to purchase them once. Kalanchoe Mirabella can provide red flowers January-April every year. Bletilla is another amazing performer that blooms from about February-May for me. They aren't invasive, but they do grow quickly and can be divided. I started out with 2 small rhizomes, and now there are so many I used them en mass in a sidewalk strip.
As Bahia said, it depends upon where you live. Are you looking for sun or shade plants?

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 4:29PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Aloes and Camellias are the stars of my winter garden. The Aloes attract hummingbirds, too.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 6:59PM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

Don't restrict yourself to perennials! What about shrubs and trees? Not necessarily a garden full, but a few choice specimens chosen for fall and winter interest.

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage: Bleak Midwinter

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 9:24PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

It's best not to plant much in the heat of the summer in southern California- we wait until October so that our plants have a better chance of surviving.

Chrysanthemums bloom in fall, and you can get them in the fall already in bloom.
Brugmansias and cannas bloom in the fall and into the winter if there is no frost. So do some daylilies. Roses bloom into January. Reblooming tall bearded irises bloom in the fall and winter all the way through to March (Violet Turner, Total Recall, Mariposa Autumn, and Recurring Dream are my best).
My spireas, calla lilies, and azaleas bloom in March.
Renee

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™