Anybody Know What These Are?

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)September 6, 2012

When I was gathering food for my gulf frit caterpillars, I turned this passionvine leaf over to check for cats - I don't need to bring in any more to raise myself, so I always check for eggs and cats. I found these eggs -

They're big for insect eggs, which I suppose they are. It's amazing what you can find on the underside of leaves if you look!

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alch21

I found the same thing a few years back ! I cant remember what it was but i remember it was not good ! Not caterpillars ...

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 3:22PM
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

I found those or something close to them on box elder maple last week. What emerged from them still has me perplexed. It was aphids or something that passed for aphids (looked at them with my microscope). They were bright red. The pupal stage I observed does not jive with the aphid life cycle I was taught in entomology class. Weird.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 3:31PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

MissSherry, I think they are the eggs of some species of Leaf-Footed Bug. Some feed on passion vines and pierce the fruit with their proboscis. The eggs closely resemble the squash bug eggs I found on my squash, but thru further research I discovered they were the LFBs. They won't eat the caterpillars, but will munch on your vine.

Susan

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 6:21PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Hmmmm......thanks, alch21, KC, and Susan!
It's interesting that you said they were some type of leaf-footed bug, Susan, because I found out that those pyramid-shaped, pearly looking eggs I find from time to time are leaf-footed bugs, also. That type of bug is very common here, I see them everywhere, so it figures.

I guess I could bring them in and see for myself - maybe I'll do that.

Sherry

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™