Troth Gardens

wantonamara Z8 CenTexJune 18, 2012

This is the second time posting these. The site swallowed the last attempt and 30 minutes of my morning.

I have been changing up and planting new dish gardens . I have also combined Mesemb TYPE plants with others. We will see how it goes. My other experiment worked for 2 years so I am trying others. I did give my Alionpsis a crowded rocklined space.

I kinda screwed up with my choice of fertilizer. I didn't think about the staining.

Beachplant, or anyone,. What is going on with the center of my Alionopsis malherbei ? Merestem damage, flowering, next years growth, desease?

This one is from last year but it shows the fenestaria, pleiospilos neli, faucaria and stapelia with opuntia and Euforbia

Here is an old Cauldron Garden that I am always changing up and a cactus dish that I altered. The Cactus that was growing there got to large and needed it's own pot. Today I will be inserting two Agave victoriae-reginae into the cracks of the rock pile. I hope I don't kill them in the process.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beachplants(Z11)

Mara, I will confess, I have never seen that on a Aloinopsis. Maybe bacterial infection or aphids/mite that caused abnormal growth? They are very susceptible to aphids/mite.

Love the troths by the way. I guess it is like gardening - have to keep hand one them.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:05PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I was thinking it might be mights. Yikes. How do you treat for mites. would that be as in ALOE mites type critter. I was starting to think it looked like aloe mite. I have been mite free in my collection. I might toss the plant and spray all of my other plants.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:14PM
kathi_mdgd

I love all of those,my favorite is the burgandy/grey looking echevaria,or whatever it is in the 3rd picture from the bottom.TFS
kathi

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 5:19PM
JessieC777(Washington State 5)

Nice! I love the added interest with the different rocks

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 5:36PM
bama_gardener(8b)

Beautiful dish gardens!

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 6:49PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The burgundy one is the oldest. one. I have been changing that one up for 5 years.The others need to grow into their own.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:57PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

They're gorgeous. And it makes me wish I could get a new, nice camera. The shots do them justice! What do you shoot with, if I may ask?

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:12PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Thankyou, all. I forgot a couple of dishes. Y'all might get an update. I shoot with a Nikon D-80. It has been discontinued, but they have other comparable models. I find their color balance is not alway right on and I need to adjust for it. There are programs to do that but I am good at color correcting in my photo library. I think they have corrected this in the later models. It has a nice sized sensor field. AND high pixel count (no longer THAT high) but I think that pixel count is only a third of it sensor field size is much more important. Many cameras have 12 megapixels and a sensor field one 32 the size so the pictures are just not as rich. And the glass (lens) quality is really important also. I always buy upgraded lenses and not the kit lens. I use my camera professionally but I do not call myself a photographer.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:34PM
Beachplants(Z11)

Mara, in my case I would toss it, but then I sow seeds so I have at least 5 others. I just wish I knew what caused that, certainly not natural.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:46PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It is already tossed. It was a $2.99 plant. They are not expensive and I have about 30 aloes that I have been growing for years and worth a lot more in time, and love. I would not want to put them at risk. The more I look at it , the more it looks like aloe mite. I am going to treat all my aloes for mite even if I seen nothing.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:53PM
cactusmcharris

Love the bowl gardens, Mara - such colour and form on display, and the chunks of rocks are most delightful.

Trough garden? When I saw your post, I was thinking that 'troth garden' would be a good place to get married, to pledge one's troth to one's beloved.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 8:24AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I learned to speak english at 7 years of age and I am afraid that I have never stopped brutalizing the language. I hold my tittle Mara the Queen of Malaprop with pride and a up lifted tilt of my nose.. I am contemplating purposely misspelling that as MARAprop

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 8:51AM
cactusmcharris

Mara,

I trust you know I wasn't picking on you. Love the Maraprop. Brutalize away, sez me. And the upturned nose just adds to your majesty.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 9:14AM
Beachplants(Z11)

I did not even look twice at it as we use the word "trog" in afrikaans for a elongated drinking bowl or planter! But I am unfortunately "English Challenged", much worse than you, Mara. My wife tend to say, they should have fired your teacher, and that goes for the teacher of idioms as well - I make up my own! LOL! So do not feel alone!

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 9:52AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Very, very, very nice:-)

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 11:01AM
cactusmcharris

Her post's title reminds me of our ideal of getting married in a garden, so it's a blissful Maraprop.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:12PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Ewwwww! Just gorgeous! I love how you used the rocks and the colors they added. I also must admit how much I admire your photography! Good job!

Penny

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Hobbit, skinny fingers or Gollum
Okay just brought this off eBay it was labeled as a...
Hamza Nobes
Show my new collection of succulents
I got a present. Look at these succulents.
hm825
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Succulent Growing Roots From Stem
Not sure what I should do with my plant! It has been...
chelseaw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™