Purple Pitcher plants indoors

lilprincess1026April 30, 2012

Hi, I just bought a purple pitcher plant from a local botanist and he told me that i could keep it indoors but im not exactly sure how. He also gave me a care sheet but i heard you have to add water to the pitchers.... this is my first time with them and i dont want to mess up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

Can you post a photo of the plant? A true purple pitcher is an OUTSIDE plant. It will also need a dormant period of 3-4 months come fall.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 8:26PM
lilprincess1026

This is it... the only problem with keeping it outside is that i live at a college and when im home there are animals that eat most of our plants

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 5:02PM
tommyr_gw

That's a S. Purperia. It's an OUTDOOR plant and will not last long indoors. They need full Sun and winter dormancy.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:30AM
lilprincess1026

I dont really have anywhere outside to put it I live in the city... would a grow light work?

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 3:45PM
junglemel(9)

I've seen it done before with multiple, bright, (like 10,000K) bulbs indoors, but you'll still have the dormancy issue to solve. If the lighting you buy works for it. Some people that live in climates not conducive to adequate dormancy conditions put it in their fridges for the 3-4 months. However, I would slowly induce a dormancy that cold. You don't have a zone number so it's hard to say what your options for that are.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
Mold... *Sigh*
Well, I screwed up. I didn't cover up the plants dormant...
David146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™