Is mixing artificial light and sun light a good idea?

Chompz(7)April 9, 2014

Due to a squirrel problem in my yard in recent attempts I've been forced to have my plant under a 26f bulb in the house until i get home from work. It spends roughly 8 hrs(6a.m.-2 p.m.) this way and then the rest of the day outside. My question is will the mixture of fluorescent light and direct sun light stress the plant, and should I get a stronger bulb if not. Everyone seems wise on this site so im sure I'll get a good answer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sundewd(9B)

I'm not really sure to be honest... I myself do keep some plants indoors during harsher weather but what I do is keep them near a bright window and provide artificial light via a timer when the window isn't as bright as it could be. Generally early am and late pm.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 6:35PM
tommyr_gw

Won't hurt but make a small cage to put over it and get it back outside full time.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 11:00AM
gardenper(8)

I think it's not the light that would affect it but the difference in being indoors and outdoors.

Indoors - certain constant temperature, no wind, probably fairly constant humidity
Outdoors - temperature changes, wind, bugs (yummy but they could have negative effect also)

Once you have time, rigging up some protection for the plant from the squirrels may help the plant adjust and grow better (though we probably can't tell the difference in about 1-2 weeks time)

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 6:45PM
Chompz(7)

I took the advice of tommyr and found some construction fence laying around. Not the best looking but very effective and the plant is very active outside, even the smallest of the traps!

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:43PM
Sundewd(9B)

Main thing outside is to just get it off the ground

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
New to this. Did I kill it?
I have had a nephthenes/tropical pitcher for a few...
Deir
Mold... *Sigh*
Well, I screwed up. I didn't cover up the plants dormant...
David146
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™