what kind of butterfly bush is this?

coolbutterfly(5A)September 6, 2010

Hi everyone, I bought some "white profusion" butterfly bush seeds last winter and planted them this spring.

They have just started flowering but the blooms are definitely not white. Does someone know what species this is? Thanks in advance for your help, Tony From Monarchs & Liatris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kr222(6b)

Buddleia davidii I believe.
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 2:59PM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Coolbutterfly,

Your plant looks like a cross between White Profusion and Black Knight, both Buddleia davidiis. I say this because I've had some volunteers come up between my two plants. They are paler than the Black Knight, but definitely not white. This is because the flowers were open pollinated and two colors cross pollinated. The person you got the seeds from had other colors of butterfly bushes besides white. The only way you could guarantee white butterfly bushes from the seeds is to grow only white butterfly bushes.

The best way to get a White Profusion is to find someone that has one and take a cutting. Butterfly bushes are easy to propagate from cuttings.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 4:17PM
coolbutterfly(5A)

Thanks for the explanation...I have 3 bushes so it will be interesting to see if the other 2 have different colored blooms.

I'm in Minnesota, so just hoping my bush will come back if I mulch with leaves before winter.

Thanks again butterfly mom!

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 5:29PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Well, how neat is that? I didn't know that they do that. Good heavens, between all the different ones in my yard, there is no telling what I would come up with. I have grown them from cuttings, and like mom says, they are easy to grow. Just for kicks, I think I will collect some seed from my White Profusion and see what grows from them.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™