My Venus Fly Trap is dying. :/

luzsmilesApril 17, 2013

Hello everyone,
I'm totally new to growing plants and I really need help. So I had bought a Venus Fly trap at a museum and took it home with me. I put the pot in a little cup of water (filtered water because I didn't know it was not distilled) as it told me to and put it in my living room where it would get some sunlight. However, I had to head back to San Diego for school and couldn't take my plant back this time. I went back a week later, and it looked like this. The soil feels moist. And I was wondering if I would need to put new soil or if I just start watering distilled water and putting it in the sunlight if it would revive. I live in a dorm so my plant would be indoors at all times.
So if anyone could give me any tips on how to revive it I would deeply appreciate it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

Throw it out and start over. First mistake is using filtered water. Second mistake keeping it inside. Get a new HEALTHY one but in the meantime Google Venus Flytrap care.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 6:22PM
Morpheus119(6)

I'm fairly new to this also but I don't think you should throw it out. I've talked to a lot of people and they say these plants are very tough. If I was you I would remove the plant from its current media and repot in long-fibered sphagnum, peat moss, peat-perlight, or a mix of all three and water with distilled or rainwater. It might pull through or it might not. The new growth suggests its not completely dead so it's worth a shot.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 6:21PM
ordphien(9)

It also looks saveable to me.
My advice would be to repot.
I keep my Venus fly traps in pure sphagnum. Home Depot carries a bag for$5.
For aesthetic reasons, and practicality, I like to keep my carnivorous plants in clear glass containers.
I've found that those small clear $4 fish bowls from Michaels make great containers.
It allows me to check the moisture levels at all times at a glance.
But it's not needed.
I personally use RODI water from a local fish store. but whatever you use make sure it's pure.
I water when the moss is damp but not dry.
Every month I drop about 3 pillbugs in each container and let them crawl into a random trap.
Lastly is light.
Fly traps like a lot of light.
I keep mine in full sun outside. They get 8 hours of direct sun.
So put them in the brightest spot available, and get a light.
I personally use the Jansjo desk reading lamp from Ikea.
it costs $8 and has worked for a variety of my growing needs.
a desk lamp with the right bulb works just as well.

anything else.... hmm... brightest spot, media, watering... Ooh. And I'm sure you know but they need a winter rest.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:11PM
KaitlynnPaige

My Venus flytrap is coming out of dormancy and I was wondering how much water I am supposted to be giving it, if there is a limit for when they first start coming out of dormancy. Also before it went into dormancy it started growing a flower stalk and I cut it off then it did it again and I cut it off and it went dormant now it is trying to come out and I have cut 3 more flowerstalks off! What is going on, it still looks sluggish and will not stop trying to produce flowers. Any advice? Thank you!

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 7:34PM
tommyr_gw

Keep it in a shallow tray of distilled water or rainwater. If the plant is weak looking just keep cutting off the flower stalks. Slowly accustom it to full Sun OUTDOORS.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Advice on Venus Fly Trap care
Hello everyone, I just recently I bought a venus fly...
fuzzywolf
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
VFT after some ice and snow
I just wanted to upload this pic of my VFT and pitcher...
purslanegarden
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Runner Rug: Anatolia Navy/Sage 2' 3" x 8'
Home Depot
1-Light Wall Lantern Pewter
$32.80 | PLFixtures
Cortina Floor Lamp by Pablo Designs
$360.00 | Lumens
Logico Mini Table Lamp by Artemide
$1,085.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Red and Moss 9' 6" x 13' 6"
Home Depot
Karastan Bellingham Britton Rug - 37150 17228 029144
$199.00 | Hayneedle
Progress 6" Antique Bronze Sloped Recessed Baffle Trim
$49.78 | Lamps Plus
GlideRite Oil Rubbed Bronze Robe and Coat Hooks (Case of 25)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™