Monarch fall migration

ericwiSeptember 16, 2013

I have seen three monarch butterflies flying through our neighborhood today. It is around 65 degrees F, and sunny. Monarchs have been scarce this summer. I am hoping that next year will be better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leafhead

Yeah, me too...
I've had one or two hanging around for about 2 wks now nectaring like mad, but I know it's too late for ELFs. I hope to see a lot more in the way of butterflies in general, but esp. the Monarchs.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 3:23PM
tracey_nj6(6)

Scarce is an understatement. I've seen 2 the entire season, and not one egg or caterpillar this year. Huge disappointment...

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 4:19PM
sandpapertongue(7a VA)

I saw two today as well, for the first time all year. I planted all this milkweed but I never got anything. Here's hoping for more next year!

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 6:43PM
ericwi

This afternoon, I saw a monarch, nectaring, at Maplewood Skilled Nursing, in Sauk City, Wisconsin. It was sunny, 70 degrees F, and around 3pm. This is pretty late for monarchs to be migrating south, but the weather is cooperating, so far.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 10:19PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

This just emphasizes the importance of providing a variety of host and nectar plants for all the pollinators that will be available throughout the season, even the extreme early and late. I had been disappointed that my Mexican Sunflowers hadn't bloomed earlier, but now I'm glad they are blooming now.

Martha

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 7:59AM
Tony G(5a)

Martha,

as a fellow northerner I either start Mexican seeds indoors one month before avg last frost OR the past couple seasons I have bought plants for a much longer bloom period. Mine are still blooming in Minnesota....but the cold will end them soon :(

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
They're back
Here in Central Florida we are at mid spring. I have...
tom123_gw
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Butterflies in my house - what should I do?
I found a cabbage white fluttering between the inner...
joannpalmyra
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™