Butterfly ID help Please?

bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)September 4, 2010

Well, my fruit plate has been a smashing success. I am so happy! I have had Hackberries, Question Marks, and Red Spotted Purples in the last 2 days. This guy landed today to feed and I just do not recognize him. Can you help? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladobe

Libytheana carinenta

During the summer monsoons from Madera Canyon to Pina Blanca (in south central AZ) I've seen this species in such high numbers some years that they literally blanketed the ground, plants, etc and actually made it difficult to see where you are going while driving.

Larry

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 3:12PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Thanks for the ID help Larry. Where the heck is his snout? I think that I might have gotten a quick clue if I had seen a snout on the Snout! :o) Is it there and I just don't see it?

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 5:01PM
ladobe

The labial palps often get broken off on many species of lepidoptera, its just more noticeable on Libytheana becasue they are so elongated. The shape of the wings and scale color patterns are an easy key for this species, so are more reliable than the labial palps for identification.
L.

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 8:03PM
runmede(7a Virginia)

This one is even more beat up.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Snout with Broken Snout

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 9:46PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Wow. Well, that is just so interesting. Thanks a bunch! I have seen the Snout in my yard maybe twice before. I don't think that I remembered that they come to fruit tho. I am just loving this fruit experiment. I am getting to see species which I never ever see. I guess they were here all along and I just needed to get the right temptation going for them. My sister got so excited about my good luck that she put out some fruit for the first time yesterday, and she got a Red Admiral and a Tawny Emperor on hers. :o)

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
A Beautiful Oil Painting, On The Wings Of A Butterfly
A Beautiful Oil Painting, On The Wings Of A Butterfly......On...
woollybear69
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™