WANTED: Sarracenia seeds or....

rootdiggernc(Z-7A NC)June 28, 2008

Does anyone have any Sarracenia (pitcher plants) seeds they could share or any other unusual natives? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamelask(z8a NC)

I may, root. I had 2 that bloomed this spring at the same time and it looks as though i may have seed set. I have no idea how many or anything or even if they'll be viable. Will let you know when i do. I think the bot garden in chapel hill sometimes has seed. they have an impressive collection of pitchers and other carnivorous plants.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 11:49PM
rootdiggernc(Z-7A NC)

Thanks Tammy! I think they need to be planted while pretty fresh so by the time they are ready in the fall it'll be time to plant them.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 2:57PM
ncrescue

I know that they should be planted fresh, but I got some last fall and forgot them. I plan on soaking and then trying to see if I get any results. I can share if you want to try that. Quite a few of my plants bloomed this season, but I have been away so much I have not yet checked to see if any seeds are forming. Have you been to the Farmer's Mkt. on Sandy Ridge this season? There is a guy who is selling several types of pitcher plants at very reasonable prices. I bought two containers. He said not to transplant them until early fall. I have my other plants at the edge of the lake now and will put the new ones nearby. The old ones seem to do well there.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 9:40PM
rootdiggernc(Z-7A NC)

NC, would love to try some this fall. Thank you! I've been to the FM but have stayed away from the plants. I'll have to take a closer look when I get back over there.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
HAVE: Plant Sale & Swap
I am having my Spring plant sale later this week on...
Ralph Whisnant
WANTED: Raleigh Fall Swap & Picnic 2013
Come one. Come all! The Raleigh Fall Swap will be held...
trianglejohn
WANTED: Red Cascading Rose - Raleigh Plant Swap
Hello, Does anyone have a red cascading rose that will...
jdbheartsease
WANTED: Dixie Regional Hosta Meeting May 2014
FYI If you are interested, I can send you the email...
plantbug
HAVE: Spring 2014 Raleigh Swap - Food List
I'm bringing Cranberry Chicken Salad and/on Croissants. John:...
jdbheartsease
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™