Mulberry trees

swallowtail_growerJuly 2, 2010

Hello, I have 2 seedlings of Mulberry trrees that have been growing since last winter. I protected them all those rainey months and both are doing very well, where I am we are heading into the hottest months here in zone 9 sometimes hitting 109 during the day hours should I wait till this fall to plant them where I have decided to put them. Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

If you have acreage replant after the Oct. heat wave.

If you're on a city lot, dump them.

After pruning an established Mulberry down to the trunk it only took 6 months for new branches to be 20-25 feet long.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 6:52PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

You want mulberry trees? I had one that took up half of my huge lot. It was a nightmare- and it cost a fortune to have it removed. Smushed mulberries everywhere- birds pooping purple all over the place- ack!

I guess if you can have them half an acre away from your house and cars they might be ok. But the fruit just isn't tasty enough to warrant so much space, IMHO.

Renee

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 9:48PM
sautesmom

Not tasty enough??? Wow, Renee, clearly you are not growing the right mulberry! Mine from my Morus Nigra Noir de Spain are up there with the best fruit of any kind I have ever tasted--a cross in flavor between sweet ripe blackberries and Merlot wine. I woke up the other morning to find some neighborhood joggers up in my tree having a snack. They looked at me picking up my newspaper and said, embarrassed, "Mulberries!!!"
I said "Yes I know, I planted the tree!"
A flavor so good, strangers will steal them!
:)

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 10:49PM
swallowtail_grower

Thank you for answering, I like the Mulberry because of the shade it offers and its a fast grower, yes it would be nice to find a tree that grows as fast and not so messy.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 10:50PM

Carla, that sounds wonderful. I'm on my way to join the joggers in your tree. Their expressions must have been priceless.

Swallowtailgrower- all of the trees I can think of that grow really fast are messy and they reseed everywhere. I'll keep thinking.
Renee

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:15PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

For a controllable mulberry, try Weeping type with small black fruit, very tasty and easy enough to harvest by laying down newspapers and shake the branches to dislodge the fruit.

I grew on on my S.Barbara property for over 14 years, pruning back hard every winter the long canes and thinning interior branches.

I am currently growing in a mixed small farm two unnamed Morus nigra, one annually limb-pruned and the other root pruned, a quarter section each year. These trees are remaining fairly small, in the range of 15-20 feet call and wide. Root pruning yields a tree with less vigor.

Two specimens of Pakistani White or P.King (not M. nigra) are a lot more vigorous. One is heavily pruned each winter and lightly pruned in summer so as to maintain a reasonable crown from which to harvest the wonderful 2-3-inch long non-staining fruit. The other tree has been allowed to assume its broad crowning habit with "water sprouts" removed as needed and some lightening of scaffolding branches. I love the look and feel of the more natural form even though fruit production is less.

Neither variety of tree has put up root sprouts of have yielded seedlings.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 7:48PM
borderbarb

I've got a 2 year old Fruitless Mulberry tree in my front yard to replace the same variety that shaded my front yard, house, sidewalk, and driveway for 30 years. The leaves were a bit of a mess, but compost well. And the shade was worth every minute of raking.

I need to look online for directions in how to POLL "Young Barry". A tree down the street from us is about 40 years old, has been polled every year and looks just wonderful. Plus I think that keeps it under control. I think uncontroled growth contributed to the demise of my old tree. Anyone familiar with this process?

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 8:53PM

Borderbarb- we call it pollarding here. Maybe that would yield better search results.
Renee

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 5:55PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

The 'Teas Weeping' Mulberry is nice and does not get too big. The fruit is delicious if you can get any before the birds get it all and then poop purple all over.

I saw an old (60 yrs) 'Teas Weeping' in winter when it was leafless and it was the coolest thing. The branches zigged and zagged above the trunk before they wept downwards. What a silhouette it made!

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™