Night blooming yellow wildflower

marti_(9b So. Ca.)July 20, 2008

Does anyone know of a wildflower that blooms at night. I no longer have it, but I would sure love to know the name or get some seeds. It grows about 3 to 4 feet high and late evening you can actually watch the flowers open before your eyes. It is so fun for children to see. It has pure yellow blooms which go away when the morning sun comes up. Hope someone knows of this plant so they can help me find it.

Thank you so much

Marti

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

Is this it,a night blooming cereus?? I've only seen it in white,with some yellow in the center,
Kathi

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/july/papr/nbcereus.html

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 6:38PM
davissue_zone9(z9 Sunset 14)

Evening primrose- Oenothera biennis

Here is a link that might be useful: Oenothera biennis

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 7:32PM
gardenerme(z9/21 inland socal)

Be careful about planting it. It is extremely invasive.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 9:38AM
marti_(9b So. Ca.)

Thanks for the information! I think it must be the evening primrose. I looked at some photos. Seems like there are quite a few varities, but one of the photos looks like what I may have had. The plant I had was not at all invasive. Thanks again!!

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 7:08PM
lemecdutex(z15 CA Petaluma)

My grandmother had that going in her garden back in Texas. When I visited with her as a kid, we'd make sure to go out at just the right time in the evening to watch them unfurl. I remember being thrilled each time I saw it. I'd love to have them again here in remembrance of those days. She's the one who really encouraged my gardening passion.

--Ron

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 12:51AM
wanda(Z9 CA)

Maybe it's O. acaulis. I think that species is pretty dramatic in it's unfurling and gets about the right height.

wanda

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 1:17AM
lemecdutex(z15 CA Petaluma)

I found the one my grandmother grew, or it sure looks like it to me: Oenothera erythrosepala. I kept thinking the others I've seen didn't look quite right, but this one was exactly how I remembered, including the touch of red, and the foliage. It was perennial for her, made a mound of foliage all winter, then shot up in Spring to make the 4' or so stalks, with blooms ringing them near, but not at the top.

I think I'll try to find some seeds or plants of that. She had a friend who collected unusual plants, so maybe she got it from him.

--Ron

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 1:49AM
More Discussions
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™