Anybody in Cal. ever grown Selaginella?

stanofhJuly 1, 2013

I've killed them every time..blue,gold,dwarf,giant. Not one has survived. And yet they are native to cold areas..so here is no problem. They look so great at Lowes- blue color and all.
Anybody do well with them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

HAVE TO HAVE QUALITY WATER. Distilled or Reverse Osmosis water, a well draining substrate, should not stay soggy, high humidity, and kept in shade with only an hour or so of exposure to sunlight.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 5:56AM
stanofh

Water quality is top notch. Hetch Hechy from Yosemite. After that,its clay soils and moderate summer humidity. Low by east coast standards. High enough to not bother tree ferns and all manner of ferns like Playcerium superbum and bifurcatum. Even a Huperzia squarrosa. But,I grant you..Selaginella might want dripping wet humidity.
I tried over the years..they started dying the moment they left the store or nursery. I was just wondering if somebody in Cali had a good looking planting..maybe a hanging basket or in ground?.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:12PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

I and others here in the SF Bay Area find various forms of Selaginella kraussiana quite easy to grow in bright shade. It does particularly well for me as a container plant underplanting to taller plants.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 5:04PM
stanofh

You have any photo's?..give me an idea of what light you have? I might go back to Lowes..

And if Carlos is also reading this..would it do better in moss mounted on a tree? There is almost nothing about the plants sold in habitat. Rocks ,trees or in ground?

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 5:53PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

They don't need sopping wet conditions, but shouldn't go dry either. I don't find Selaginella krussiana difficult to grow, limes similar condtions to Baby Tears. In my garden, I've got it planted in a pot with Babaco that gets a little direct morning sun, but it's also done well in north facing courtyard plantings that only get direct sun in summer late in the day. It prefers well drained yet moisture retentive soils that don't get too dry. My container plants get some water every other day in warm weather.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 11:29PM
stanofh

Thanks David. I did go back-lol, I couldn't resist one in particular that was blue tinged. I might divide in half..half in ground,half in a pot. Hedge my bet.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Have you he@rd of SLOLA?
Great time at seed library meeting in Los Angeles....
Wild Haired Mavens
New exciting Mediterranean Gardening and Outdoor Living Magazine
For advice from professionals look at our magazine...
Justin Wride
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
Sponsored Products
True Modern | Marfa Sofa
YLiving.com
Catskill Craftsmen The Big Work Center with Solid Back Kitchen Island - 63037
$426.02 | Hayneedle
A C Pacific Aldo Reclining Sofa - ALDO RECLINING SOFA
$781.95 | Hayneedle
8'' Lavender Sachet Set - Set of Three
$9.99 | zulily
Kartell | Joe Colombo Armchair
YLighting
Red Revolution Ceramic 3'' Paring Knife
$15.99 | zulily
Copeland Furniture | Sarah Sleigh Bed with High Footboard, Twin
YLiving.com
21" x 34" Wescott Bath Rug - SAIL CLOTH WHITE (BATH RUG 21X34)
$30.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™