Argentine ants, less this year?

Bob_B(Sunset 14, Ca.)July 26, 2009

I am seeing far fewer Argentine ants around my house and yard this year, and I would like to think it's because of the effort I have put into controlling them (the past few years ) with boric acid. What are the populations of Argentines like where you live?

RB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stanofh

Like army ants. With pets and such I cant do much. Why cant cats eat ants?

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 8:27PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I commented yesterday to DH that this week was the first time I had ants crawling all over me as I watered. They have been farming aphids here and there, huge marching lines of them had not been using my hose and arms as freeways until this week.
Renee

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 2:05AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

My Argentine ant population is down dramatically this year. My native ants are back. About twice the size and faster afoot and red instead of black. About half the size of carpenter ants, but still able to bite. When they get into the house they are easier to get rid of than the Argentine variety. In the yard I find them under stored pots and lumber scraps and they run up my arms when I disturb their cover. Al

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 9:30AM
CA Kate

We've only had one home invasion this summer... which is a first. We've usually had 3 or 4 by now.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 7:17PM
reefisher(z10SoCal)

I tried for four years baiting with borate laced sugar solutions. Followed all the recomendations from the UC Riverside study. Then when I read that they decided that fipronil worked better I tried it. First I barrier treated the house foundation. Absolutely amazing, no ants in our around the house for over a year with just one treatment. As for the garden that is another story. I won't use the stuff any where anything is growing unless I can contain it to spill proof bait stations or ant trials that cross an object that I can lightly spray and later remove without ever having touched the soil. When I can do this, it totally wipes out that satellite colony.

So to answer the question. I have had fewer argentine ants this year for a reason.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 5:39PM
home_grower(SoCal Z9 S18)

I guess they all decided to hang out at my place this year. They got in the house for the first time this year. Two hiways to the dog food bowls. Now I keep squishing the scouts around the house. I'm sure it's the heat that drives them indoors.

Spectracide Bug stop works pretty well indoors and out and has almost no smell so it's easy to deal with. We keep the dogs out of the area when we spray it and once the buggers are dead we mop the area clean. I just keep it sprayed wherever they surfaced from and the dogs don't seem to be attracted to it.

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 1:48AM
animal_planet

Hi,

IÂm writing from a TV production company called Darlow Smithson Productions, based in London, UK. IÂm the producer on a new series for Animal Planet about infestations.

This series examines both the 'natural history' of various types of pests and how they behave, in addition to the stories of homeowners who find them a nuisance.

I'm looking for people who have had bad ant infestations, especially of Argentine ants. If you have a story of an extreme infestation, please contact me below. We're also looking for home video footage of infestations, so don't hesitate to record the evidence if you're having a problem.

My contact details follow...

Many thanks,

Rebecca North

Producer

Extreme Infestation for Animal Planet
Darlow Smithson Productions
rebecca.north@darlowsmithson.com
+44 (0)207 482 7027

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 12:35PM
stanofh

Oh,then I guess Im your guy. My head just touches the Sapote trees...I have ants on my head. I water the back yard in summer..they pour out of the cracks in the cement-and I have ants swarming up my pant legs. Make sure you check under the collar just when you think you've brushed all off is my advise.
And if anything dies or is stepped on in the yard...the ants devour it.
The only good to the recent cool weather-is the ants are on the down low..

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 3:53PM
katebod

Hi stanofh

I'm working with Rebecca on this Animal Planet documentary.

I'd love to have a chat with you about the ants.

Would it be possible to get your phone number?

My email address is: kate.boddington@darlowsmithson.com or you can call me on 0044 207 482 7027.

We are based in England so there's a bit of a time difference, but I should be able to call you first thing your morning time.

Thanks

Kate

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question
Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden...
piper101
Shade cloth for tomatoes in San Fernando Valley
We have another couple of scorching days in So Cal...
sheckylovejoy
trees wont grow
i bought these crepe myrtle trees about 4 years ago.i...
Carlos Hernandez
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
Sponsored Products
Faure Chrome Four-Light Chandelier with Firenze Clear Crystal
Bellacor
Brahms Chrome 66-Light Chandelier with Firenze Smoked Fleet Argentine Crystal
Bellacor
Cimarosa Two-Tone 24K Gold 10-Light 33.5-Inch Wide Chandelier with Firenze Clear
Bellacor
Brahms Chrome 15-Light Chandelier with Firenze Smoked Fleet Argentine Crystal
Bellacor
Argentine 18" High Clear Seedy Glass Outdoor Post Light
Lamps Plus
Argentine 16" High Clear Seedy Glass Outdoor Hanging Light
Lamps Plus
Argentine 16" High Clear Seedy Glass Outdoor Post Light
Lamps Plus
Argentine 17" High Clear Seedy Glass Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for: