Giant green smooth caterpillar

catsmom6(z4 NE NY)September 1, 2009

We found a 4" lime green caterpillar crossing our deck today. It was as smooth as silk with it's back a little lighter than the sides. On it's tail end was ONE little "eye" in the middle. There were some oval beige spots low on each side There were no other colors except for a very fine sprinkling of tiny black dots near it's head on top. No horn. As it was going along it raised it's butt and plopped a rather large brown segmented poop (?) onto the board. We had been noticing the brown things on the deck for the last few days. They are kind of shaped like a peeled orange except that they are dark brown.

I've been trying to find it online all day and can't find one like it. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Cathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Without a photo it is very difficult. However, the "eye" spot on the dorsal segment along with the size of the cat gives a fair clue that it migh be a sphinx cat that loses its caudal horn in the 3rd-4th instar, and the sphericals you mention lead me to give a tentative ID of Pandora sphinx. Do you have grape, wild grape, ampelopsis, or Virginia Creeper vines in the vicinity? These are the plants the caterpillars of Eumorpha pandorus eat. Another similar species is E. achemon, which has the slashes instead of the sphericals.

Susan

Bookmark   September 1, 2009 at 6:24PM
catsmom6(z4 NE NY)

WOW you hit it right on the nose. It was coming out of a big vine of Virginia Creeper. It is the most beautiful thing. It was unbelievably smooth.

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 8:18PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Virginia Creeper is great host plant for several sphinx moths, incl, but not limited to, the Pandorus, Achemon, Nessus, Virginia Creeper sphinx moths, as well as the lovely little Eight-Spotted Forester. I wouldn't be without it.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 9:54PM
Butterflyer1966(z7 , AL)

Susan,
whenever your V.C. has seeds could you save some for me?? I know it can get invasive, but I have plenty of places to let it just take over.. I would really appreciate that!
Greetings
Susanne(SUE)

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
This stuff is hard
I have a ten acre prairie restoration that I have made...
rollie
Starting to look good in the south U.S.A....
Yesterday and today I saw butterflies here in my "yard". Actually...
dragonflydee
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Sponsored Products
Calhoun Armless Corner Sectional - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Napa Natural Knot Handmade Jute Rug (8'0 x 10'0)
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Empire State Acorn
Home Depot
Amisco Lolo 26-inch Stool
Overstock.com
Rural Green Wexler Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Centra 80 in. Double Vanity in Espresso with
Home Depot
Morningside Dining Chair
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
SunStopper Sun Haven 20 x 10-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-20X10-MANUAL
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™