Fernaldia Pandurata

Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)July 1, 2013

Hi all,

I recently started some fernaldia pandurata from seed and now have close to 60 little seedlings that are growing very fast! This is a vine native to the highlands and cloud forests of Central America (notably El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras) that is grown for the edible flower buds and is a staple crop in those regions. Has anyone grown this outdoors? I figure I have enough plants to experiment with one outside, but I'm just wondering if anyone, particularly in Southern California or the coastal climates has successfully grown it outdoors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

I thought I'd update you all with a photo of the seedlings as they are doing now. I have given away several seedlings and have kept 30 for myself. The ones I gave away are now in different parts of the state for others to experiment growing the vines. A friend of mine will be growing one in Richmond, CA and it is my guess that his is probably going to be the plant that grows and flowers best here in Northern CA. I'll be growing mine as potted plants in a greenhouse, and will try planting one out next spring to see how it fares outdoors in the ground.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 2:41AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Here are some pics for anyone interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 12:50AM
atipul

I'm trying to get a few plants of these. I live in California and would like to purchase a few plants for my home. Please contact me through email grammasempanadas@yahoo.com. I really appreciate it.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 11:22PM
Shorty_CA(10B CA)

I would love to purchase two of these plants. I live in Southern California.

I can't email you. Please contact me at smwebb (at) msn.com.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 1:31AM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

Hi atipul and Shorty_CA. I don't have any plants for sale. I have about 60 in the ground, but none that I can uproot and send. My goal is to get them to bloom this summer, and if I'm successful at it, I may have seeds to share in the future.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
chrysanthemums california!
Hi all, I bought these lovely yellow chrysanthemums...
Vyoma Hadkar Khaparde
New exciting Mediterranean Gardening and Outdoor Living Magazine
For advice from professionals look at our magazine...
Justin Wride
New House - Need Help!
Hi Everyone, I recently moved into my new home in Orange,...
Phil Arnold
Shade cloth for tomatoes in San Fernando Valley
We have another couple of scorching days in So Cal...
sheckylovejoy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™