Agave ID

linda_denman_island(8b)June 20, 2012

I have a hard time distinguishing between some A. parryi forms and A. havardiana and am hoping that someone can help with the identification of the two agaves in the pic below. I started them both from seed several years ago, but many of the labels made when I went on an agave growing spree are long lost or faded. I'm wondering if the ones in the pic are both A. parryi or is one havardiana?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The guys at Xericworld might be able to help you.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 6:54PM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Thanks, Mara. I will try there when I get a chance.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 7:52PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have a hard time with this corner of the agave world. Lots of overlap. The the leaf shape looks like havardiana. The shared range in nature gets these all so mixed up. My view is that the A. Havardiana has a more open leaf and fewer leaves. The A parryii var parryiii has a similar leaf shape but more leaves . This make it hard to tell apart when they are young and before the plants have grown their many leaves or if a plant is grown in a shaded situation . Good luck..

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 8:48AM
linda_denman_island(8b)

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have no difficulties identifying some species, but I'm hopeless with most havardiana and parryi. I've found that looking at pics online makes it even more confusing because there is so much variability.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 12:08PM
cactusmcharris

Linda,

Greg Starr has a new book out on Agaves which is reputed to be All That. I'm going to get it from him via Starr Nursery (that gets it autographed for you) so I can start (perhaps) IDing a parryii from a pumila. The book's got an added bonus of being inexpensive.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 12:35PM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Thanks for the tip on the book Jeff. I have the Mary and Gary Irish book, which is really helpful at times. I feel like I've already exceeded by plant (and plant books) budget for a bit, but I'm going to add the Starr book to my book wish list. If you happen to figure out what mine are, please let me know!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 5:41PM
cactusmcharris

Linda,

Send me your email via my email plug-in - you can then send me the pics to post at XW if you yourself don't want to join (you should - we have too few ladies, like Mara, there).

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 6:28PM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Jeff, that's a very kind offer. I will send you an email.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
Dirty Cactus
Help! The new growth on my cactus is nice but the...
trini1trini
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
Zebra cactus (hawarthia) help?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™