Weedy Zauschneria

Kim LadinJuly 8, 2013

I planted two California Fuschias last fall in a raised bed, and they've grown like weeds and taken over practically the entire bed. Both plants have grown to 5-6 times their original size, but they've never flowered and don't seem to be planning to.

They get a reasonable amount of water, but nothing extravagant. They did get planted in a bed with very rich soil. Could this be the problem?

Any suggestions on what to do? How does one prune these things? If my soil is too rich, should I just pull them out and put something else there?

Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kelpmermaid(10S24)

I don't know about the soil, but I cut mine back to the ground after the bloom at the beginning of fall. Mine are blooming now; they just started, though. I am coastal, if that helps.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 11:46PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Mine was very leggy and the bloom was stingy. Maybe that's how they are.
Renee

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 12:58AM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

They can be cut back hard, but doing so this late in the year will affect flowering. They can get rangy if given too much water or not enough full sun, and ordinarily would be found in leaner or more gravelly soil conditions.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 1:22AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

They are hard to get rid of. The roots go very deep and they grow back from the roots. The hummers like it so I leave it.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 6:56PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

Mine receive little water and will stay more compact than others that receive more water. Also, mine bloom more heavily with less water. I'm inland near Fresno, and grow both z. latifolia and a local native variety that I grew from seeds.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 3:21PM
greenwitch(Sz19 SoCal)

It helps to pinch them periodically to encourage branching - most flower heavily and the flowers weigh down the branches. The different cultivars do flower at different times, Bart O'Brien wrote an excellent article on Epilobiums about a trial done at Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enjoying Zauschnerias

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Hayward Papaya.
You could knock me over with a feather. In the bay...
stanofh
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
ISO Bored/Retired Landscape Designer In Sacramento Area
Posting to ask if anyone in my area might know if there...
billy3p
Please Help Save the Monarch Butterflies
I posted this info to the Butterfly Garden Forum, but...
Evelyn256
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™